Bath Remodel - Can I Take This Out? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bath remodel - Can I take this out?

I'm in the process of removing an old tub and tile surround and replacing it. The tub has a ceiling above it which serves to make it very dark and cave-like when showering. I'd like to rip the ceiling out and open it up to the skylight above.

I decided to rip the drywall off the studs, and although I'm 95% certain that they cannot be load bearing and can remove them, I want to get some more opinions since I've never done this type of work. I will of course keep the wall studs in place, just remove the ones attached to the wall studs.

Why would they be there to begin with is another question I have... An easy place to route wires and plumbing through? Maybe a heat trap for the shower?

The image is attached. Any comments?
Attached Thumbnails
Bath remodel - Can I take this out?-shower-ceiling.jpg  

Advertisement

tykbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

That's weird, especially with the skylight there

Only thing I can think of is that the warm moist air was hitting the skylight & causing problems
Condensing & raining back down ?

Unless those are 2 outside walls I'd say there isn't any reason to leave it up

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Is there an exhaust vent in the room somewhere?
If so...where does it exhaust to?
Old 02-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #4

Scuba_Dave: The walls in the picture are not exterior walls. Thanks for the input.

Bud Cline: There is an exhaust vent that goes directly outside, however it is not situated at the top of the room. It is placed directly over the toilet which has a lower ceiling than the rest of the room similar in height to the ceiling above the tub. The vent is directly behind me when taking this picture.

Last edited by tykbro; 02-27-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
There is an exhaust vent that goes directly outside, however it is not situated at the top of the room. It is placed directly over the toilet which has a lower ceiling than the rest of the room...
I see no major problem with removing the framing, but, even tho there are no outside walls relating to this shower the ceiling is an outside wall (so to speak) and I can see mold and mildew issues arising from that area. In addition, hot water from the shower will warm the air above the shower sending moisture to the skylight area. This may result in drips and collected moisture running down the walls. It's hard to tell for sure. The moist air from the shower should be drawn-away via an exhaust apparatus to the outside of the structure in my opinion. This power vent should be high in one of the side walls near the skylight if not in the roof itself. I always hesitate to penetrate a roof if it isn't totally necessary.

Something else that may help would be a ceiling fan that would mix the air in the room and hopefully help to dry the air more quickly but that's a peripheral long shot. The fan would have to be used while the room was being used and stepping out of a warm shower into a drafty room isn't my idea of fun.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #6

Alright, thanks for the tips. I may end up installing a vent fan above the shower to help any condensation / mold issues that could arise.

It sounds like there will be no concerns with removing the framing from a structural perspective so I'm going to go ahead and do that and see where it takes me. Then I'll have to hire a plumber to reroute that copper piping into the wall somewheres so it won't be in the way (or maybe get adventurous and try it myself).

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

i bet you get cold raindrops on your head while showering. my wife and i house sat a place that had a plastic bubble skylite over the bed and every morning you would wake up with drops of water hitting you in the face

Last edited by tpolk; 02-27-2010 at 06:53 PM.
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,010

I agree with the other posts that the builder tried to deflect the moisture towards the fan which is in the wrong place. Unless the skylight leaks air when the fan is on, you will have mold problems soon after removing the drop ceiling. As the fan replaces the withdrawn air with new air from under the door, it may not be very effective in it's location. If installed directly above the shower, the moisture laden exhaust air could condense inside the ducting. When you size for a new fan, go with 4" ducting, a timer to run it longer than shower length, and insulate with v.b. all attic duct work. Foil tape the joints, even individual elbow ones, to keep the air in the duct.
With the new Shark-bite fittings, you could re-route the supply lines.
http://www.cbs.state.or.us/bcd/progr...commentary.pdf
http://www.efi.org/factoids/bathroom_sizing.html

Be safe, Gary
Old 02-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
Tileguy

I doubt any "condensation drips" will occur. What will happen is the moisture will condense at/on the skylight and ceiling but then run down the shorter wall due to the slope of the ceiling. When we build steam showers the ceilings must be sloped to prevent cold-water drips from dripping straight down on the occupant. The drips are converted to runs with gravity pulling them down-slope to the wall then running down the wall. In a steam shower this is an intentional thing.

A new ventilator should be of sufficient capacity to collect and move the "heavy-air" all the way to the outside. The tubing should be four inches in diameter and insulated with a foam wrap. Any condensation that may collect on the outside of the 4" tube would then migrate into the foam and be dissipated by evaporation, unfortunately into the attic but still better than full drips.

The ventilator should in fact be on a timer that would allow the fan to continue to run well beyond the use of the shower as suggested. We would locate the exhaust fan at the outside wall of the home. This way the fan noise wouldn't be heard in the bathroom. The fan would then "pull" the air from the inside rather "push" the air to the outside.

Advertisement