Basic Cabinet ?'s (what Upgrades/features Do I Rellay Need) - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

basic cabinet ?'s (what upgrades/features do I rellay need)

Priced some cabinets at Home Depot this weekend. The price was less than I expected but they priced out the least expensive version of their mid line (Thomasville).

The designer told me they have a couple of levels of upgrades. The upgrades included various levels of plywood added to the construction.

Does plywood really add a lot of quality? If so why and what level upgrade should I consider?

List of upgrades available:

http://www.thomasvillecabinetry.com/...omasville.aspx

Advertisement

Last edited by rossl56; 12-15-2008 at 10:03 AM.
rossl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I would never personally buy a cabinet with only 3/8" construction, 1/2" would be my minimum.

Plywood is better in a basement environment (like a basement bar) where there is a better potential for moisture, but in a kitchen, from a quality standpoint, plywood is no better. In fact, it can be argued that particle board is actually stronger and less potential to warp, as long as it stays dry.

If you want my real opinion, go back to the big box store, and price out some options, but don't buy anything. Next, visit a couple locally owned small cabinet companies with showrooms (look in your yellow pages phone book). You'll immediatly notice nicer looking cabinetry, better quality finishes, and after talking with a salesperson, the prices for cabinetry that include those options as standard items are the same or aren't much higher than those optioned-out big box cabinets, and in some cases, may even be less money.

Advertisement

Jeeper1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

I have actually installed Thomasville cabinets from HD and I can tell you that most of the boxes came out of square. Cheap goes beyond just the materials used. It also goes into the construction of the box itself. While you may save some $$$ on the cabinet cost, you may end up with a headache installing them. I second Jeepers advice of looking around more. I know I have been able to beat the price of any cabinet HD sells and what I offer is a better built cabinet all around. That's the benefit of going with a small kitchen remodeler/supplier.
Also, look at lead times for getting the cabinets. When I was (dumb enough to) installing the Thomasville cabinets, the HD rep actually measured incorrectly for where the oven was to be placed so we had to reorder the correct cabinets. That took another 5 weeks. I can get my original order in 2 weeks and replacements in 7 days. It really, really sucks being without a kitchen and sucks like no tomorrow when you have to wait multiple weeks for a replacement just to work on it.
What metro area are you in? I may be able to have my rep point you to a supplier.