Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2011, 05:31 AM   #1

Share |

Basement Shower small issue

Hello Folks,

I have a house (condo unit) with a finished basement that I bough about a year ago. In such basement there is a small shower, and apparently they use some sort of tape between the shower chamber and and shower enclosure, like shown in the following photo:

Seems to be a common tape that one would use to tape boxes, etc; and it is falling apart. Could any recommend another tape or something else.

tk3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #2

Did it seem odd to you that someone put masking tape all over the walls? This isn't something you usually see in a bath renovation.
I would guess there was excess moisture in the room which caused the wall paper to peel. You can buy a wallpaper seam sealer and glue down the edges or you can remove the wallpaper and paint the wall.
New tape would not be on my list of options.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #3

Sorry about the delay in my response. Yeah, it seemed odd; I was wondering about it. But after having removed part of the tape it seems there is a gap between the wall cover (or panel) and the shower itself, as show in the following pic:

Would wall paper seem sealer be able to fill such gaps? Maybe the original job was not well done, there are lots of flaws that I found so far around the basement, such as the following:

It seems that the wall panels on which the wallpaper is glued to weren't properly aligned and trimmed in the above pic.

Also the wall panels on which the paperwalls are glued seemed to be popping out at some spots, so I am using the stud finder to find studs nearby and try to nail them down.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #4

You won't fix these issues with a seam sealer. The wallpaper is adhered to the paneling and installed poorly. It the shower area, I'd just pull it off the wall, patch and paint. The other areas you might just apply a corner molding to cover the gap until you decide to fully renovate the area.
It's got to look better then the masking tape.
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 04-18-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
DIY'er

Masking tape. A thousand and one uses except sealing a shower stall.

Honestly if it was me I would gut it and redo it all. Seeing masking tape would make me cringe. But thats just me.
DIYadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
Tileguy

Those panels look like printed hardboard (Masonite) panels to me. You should be able to remove the stupid tape without damaging the panels (try a heat gun) then just caulk all of the cracks.

Are you sure that is wallpaper?

...and I thought I had seen everything!!!
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Those panels look like printed hardboard (Masonite) panels to me. You should be able to remove the stupid tape without damaging the panels (try a heat gun) then just caulk all of the cracks.

Are you sure that is wallpaper?

...and I thought I had seen everything!!!
Thanks for the response guys, sorry I did not catch the response before. It seems to be hardboar with some decorative plastic wallpaper on it. The is room in the basement that uses that very same time of hardboard and some of them are slightly warped and popping up (and my stud finder have difficulties finding studing behind that material: hardboard with styrofoam and fiberglass behind it). The shower locate in the laundry part of the basement has other problems too, on its sides there are some panels that were not properly attached. All in all that finished basement has lots of issues...