Basement Shower Remodel Question - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Shower Remodel Question

Hi all,

I'm going to remodel my basement shower. The shower was done only about 10 years ago, but it was done wrong. I have water leaking out of the bottom of the shower and it's corroding the studs.

I plan on pulling up the floor and one row of the 6"x8" wall tiles. I will then lay a new preslope, liner and mud bed. I have two questions...

1) The drain pipe is as old as the house and thats about 60 years. I'm 99% sure this is a cast iron pipe. Do you think this drain pipe needs replacing? If so, would I need to jackhammer the sub floor to get to it and have a plumber come in a attach a PVC drain? Is this even possible?

2) The shower has one wall that is solid concrete (it's a basement). This wall has two layers of tile on it (the original tile and the tile set 10 years ago). How will I attach the new shower liner to this concrete wall? Can I just lay the liner up against the concrete wall and attach some durock on top of it? Then tile?

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

mdsnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsnj View Post
1) Do you think this drain pipe needs replacing?
Probably
If so, would I need to jackhammer the sub floor to get to it and have a plumber come in a attach a PVC drain?
Probably
Is this even possible?
Definitely
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsnj View Post
2) The shower has one wall that is solid concrete (it's a basement). This wall has two layers of tile on it (the original tile and the tile set 10 years ago). How will I attach the new shower liner to this concrete wall? Can I just lay the liner up against the concrete wall and attach some durock on top of it? Then tile?
You're pretty lost here. The level of knowledge that you have is simply not congruent with the scale of this job. Sorry.

Advertisement

Dairylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Could be the shower drain itself that was installed wrong.
The pipe may not need replacing.
Could be that the liner should have never been installed. Sounds more like a job for a Kerdi membrane.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,636

YOU ARE IN LUCK!

This a is a job for Schluter KERDI. Check out the Schluter offerings then come back with your questions.
http://www.schlutersystems.com