Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #1

Share |

Basement Bathroom - Drywalling Ceiling

So, I have totally gutted a basement bathroom. It is approximately 6x10 feet. I have already installed an exhaust fan that covers 85sq feet. I am installing a tub/shower and I am using a vapour barrier (6mm I believe) and then cement board followed by tiles. For the ceiling I have purchased moisture resistant drywall. I will also be putting in sound proofing insulation in the ceiling. My question is - do I use the vapour barrier between the ceiling joists and the moisture resistant drywall?

I know there are multiple posts on here about this same issue...but there are also multiple answers.

ashton44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #2

If the sound insulation consists of fibreglass batts, then if they are to work as intended, they need to be kept dry. This would require the v/b to be on the moist side of the insulation, ie fixed to the u/side of the ceiling joists.

Why bother with sound-insulation in the first place? If it's to reduce sound going upwards, it won't be that effective; a lot of the sound goes direct through the structure (in this case the joists and enclosing walls) and the batts won't help that much.

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #3

i would say no
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #4

This is exactly my problem. Two opposite answers...

Sound proofing - because of pipes and low ceiling I was unable to put up resilient chambers. So, if it costs $40 to get some sound reduction I'm happy. Also, fire barrier. It just makes sense.
ashton44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #5

i would say yes to the m/b.
As for the insulation, dont see the benefit. If you are looking to reduce noise, you have to build the ceiling differently.
BNTHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #6

Where are you located, ashton44?

http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...001_par003.htm

Your green-board drywall requires 12"o.c. framing for ceiling, if 1/2", 16" o.c. for 5/8"; http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par013.htm

Gary
Old 04-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #7

Vapor retarder in the ceiling of a basement room? Never heard of that being done. The point of the retarder is to prevent water vapor from entering a cooler area and resulting in condensation. Unless you plan on not heating your upstairs...
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
bbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
Vapor retarder in the ceiling of a basement room? Never heard of that being done. The point of the retarder is to prevent water vapor from entering a cooler area and resulting in condensation. Unless you plan on not heating your upstairs...
he'd like to keep the moisture from the bathroom from getting soundproofing insulation wet.

and combining soundproofing insulation and resilient channel and green glue and such is better than just using one method.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
he'd like to keep the moisture from the bathroom from getting soundproofing insulation wet.
I see. OK, well I'd be nervous about putting the vapor retarder there unless the sound insulation also provide some amount of thermal break. There's going to be a relatively small drop in temperature between the rooms and the floor cavity. I don't think that drop is significant enough to cause any real condensation as long as the vapor can enter the cavity and disperse. However, once you put a vapor retarder, you'll basically cause the vapor to build up at that barrier (warm air rises). If there's a strong thermal break (the way there is in an attic space), that vapor won't condense into liquid form. If there is no thermal break, then even a relatively small drop in temperature could result in moisture build up. We're talking about mold resistant drywall, so in theory that's not an issue, but I wouldn't want damp drywall of any kind.

But the real kicker here is that if you use Roxul Safe-n-Sound, you need not worry about it getting damp.
http://www.roxul.com/stone+wool/faq#f1268

If we're talking about regular thermal batt insulation being used for sound proofing, the OP is completely wasting his time and money. Normal insulation is almost completely ineffective in soundproofing.

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom ceiling moisture, drywall, vapour barrier