Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #1

Share |

Base cabinets install w/ leg levelers???

Hi everyone,
I am installing kitchen cabinets in my house. The floor isn't level. I've read online that leg levelers are the easiest way and you don't have to worry about the shims contracting and expanding with the seasons.

These are the leg levelers I purchased: Leg Levelers... Scherr's Cabinet and Doors Online Harware Ordering These seem to just go on the bottom of the cabinets. (These cabinets do not have the build in box/kick panel at the bottom of them like my cabinets)

However, my cabinets have have the wooden frame on the bottom (where the kick panel attaches to). They look like this[IMG]http://www.********************/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]Sorry for the bad diagram, I can attach on if it will help)
l
I <---cabinet
I_____
L___ <--Kick panel/boxed in frame around the bottom of the cabinet

Does anyone know how to install these? I believe that they have to support the sides of the cabinets, since that will be what supports the granite countertop.

The only way they seem to be able to work now, is if I just put them under the cabinet, under the bottom shelf--but then it won't support the load bearing sides.

Can I just cut out some notches on all four corners? Any advice and insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

remodelinghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #2

I bought similiar ones from Rockler. They just screw to the bottom of the cabinet.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I bought similiar ones from Rockler. They just screw to the bottom of the cabinet.
Ron
So they don't have to go under the side panels? I thought that was what would support the granite??
Old 02-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodelinghouse View Post
So they don't have to go under the side panels? I thought that was what would support the granite??
Yes, I would screw them in under the vertical supports. I have 3 cm granite on them for 7 years. The Rockler ones were rated for 400 lbs.
Ron
Old 02-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Yes, I would screw them in under the vertical supports. I have 3 cm granite on them for 7 years. The Rockler ones were rated for 400 lbs.
Ron

That is where my issue is. The sides go all the way down and attach to the toekick (which is built into the cabinets). I just have a thin piece (which is painted to match the cabinets) that goes over this built int toe kick. These pieces extend about 6 inches below the bottom shelf.

These are the cabinets I havehttp://cabinetliquidators.com/c-11-h...glaze-hbg.aspx

Hopefully that makes sense?? Thanks for your help so far!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
Not so new

....how far off level is the floor?

If infact the levelers get fastened to the underside of the cabinet bottom, and you are installing granite, I think shims are the easiest. Cant recall ever hearing anyone complain that their shims were cracking and popping when the seasons change. Add a few dabs of PL to the shims and they'll stay put.
12penny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12penny View Post
....how far off level is the floor?

If infact the levelers get fastened to the underside of the cabinet bottom, and you are installing granite, I think shims are the easiest. Cant recall ever hearing anyone complain that their shims were cracking and popping when the seasons change. Add a few dabs of PL to the shims and they'll stay put.
Thanks, I might just return the leg levelers and eat the shipping cost if anyone doesn't have any other insight into how i can use them. I just thought they would be easier to install bc the corner cabinet looks like it is going to be a pain to get level with the shims.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Not so new

You havent answered the question. How far out is it?
Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #9

Sorry about that... It isn't to far at all. I can put on shim under the rear right it and it levels the lazy suzan. It just isn't stable as the back side needs shims too. I tried a few times, but everytime I pulled the cabinet out and put a shim in the back, it screwed up the shims on the sides (the process just kept repeating itself).

Granted, I might have been a little picky as I prefer things to be exact.

The set up is only 3 cabinets long (lazy susan, 18 inch, 36 inch sink base and then dishwasher with an end panel. Should I lay the cabinets down and screw them all together, then put them in and try to level them as a unit or level each on separate from the other.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodelinghouse View Post
That is where my issue is. The sides go all the way down and attach to the toekick (which is built into the cabinets). I just have a thin piece (which is painted to match the cabinets) that goes over this built int toe kick. These pieces extend about 6 inches below the bottom shelf.

These are the cabinets I havehttp://cabinetliquidators.com/c-11-h...glaze-hbg.aspx

Hopefully that makes sense?? Thanks for your help so far!
With the cabinets you refer to, you use shims to level the cabinets, not the leg levelers.
Ron
Old 02-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
Not so new

....stick the shim to the floor with a little construction adhesive, or tape, or caulk, or whatever you have around.