Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bamboo Countertops

I am working on some suggestions for a kitchen renovation and the client wants to consider green materials. I have used recycled glass and concrete countertops in a number of projects and they are beautiful. The client also wants to consider bamboo though since that is what we may use for the floors and they want a warmer feel than glass, concrete or stone. Does anybody have experience with bamboo countertops? I have a bamboo cutting board that looks like new after 3-4 years of heavy use but wonder if this will translate to a countertop? Budget is not lavish but comfortable for the project.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bamboo Countertops

bamboo is a bit soft and will scratch and dent too easily. Try paperstone for a quality green LEED certified countertop. And you can DIY.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Bamboo Countertops

This probably won't help you at all but, I did concrete countertops, where the owner (very green architect) used a dark parquet end - bamboo top for the island. I know she has had no marking trama as of yet to the piece (2 years). White cement used in place of the typical grey portland has a very warm look.
user64621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Bamboo Countertops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
bamboo is a bit soft and will scratch and dent too easily. Try paperstone for a quality green LEED certified countertop. And you can DIY.

Bamboo rates at 1180 on the Janka hardness test:
Teak 1155
Black Walnut 1010
Black Cherry 950

Though Maple(1450) is more commonly used for counter tops walnut and cherry are also fairly common however not very "green". Bamboo however is considered a green product, tolerates humidity and water very well, and is fairly durable.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Bamboo Countertops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARI001 View Post

Bamboo rates at 1180 on the Janka hardness test:
Teak 1155
Black Walnut 1010
Black Cherry 950

Though Maple(1450) is more commonly used for counter tops walnut and cherry are also fairly common however not very "green". Bamboo however is considered a green product, tolerates humidity and water very well, and is fairly durable.
wow!

------------------------------------------
craftsman parts sears tools scratch and dent appliances
megamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

Bamboo Countertops

We have a butcher block counter top on our kitchen island.

My advice.... avoid wood counter tops at all costs. Oh man they're annoying. Every cold glass on a summer day leaves a ring. Every spill leaves a stain. Every drop of oil leaves a mark. If you spill a drink and a magazine is near by, the text from the magazine will stain the counter.

We are constantly refinishing that beast to no avail. We've tried several different finishes. It's simply NOT a practical surface. Wood is too porous, and the finishes wear off quickly.
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,078

Bamboo Countertops

I have had porcelain tile, granite, cherry, and formica countertops. My experience with the tiles was poor, the grout got dirty looking, very hard to clean. The granite has been terrific, I haven't sealed it in five years it still looks perfect. Cherry looked good when I first put it in, but did not hold up well, too easy to nick. Formica was a good budget product, but never looked very good, even when brand new. I have never seen a bamboo countertop, it sounds interesting, but I would not use it myself due to concern about nicks and cuts.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

Bamboo Countertops

I have no first hand experience, but I've also heard that concrete is not fantastic, becuase it needs constant re-sealing, and is also prone to stains.

What's not green about a stone slab (especially if it's from a local quarry)? Granite is popular for many practical reasons....

diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote