Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #1

Share |

backsplash... change of plans

I posted a little while back about trying a blackboard backsplash in my kitchen: ( Anybody tried a blackboard backsplash? )

Since then, I have chosen my countertop (Formica Basalt Slate) and am thinking that the blackboard paint may be too much black. Since my floor will be black and cream checkerboard, and my cabinets an off white, I thought about maybe taking the cream tiles and using them as a backsplash in contrast with the black countertop. Attached is a shotty pic of my tiles with the basalt slate countertop sample.

Questions: Can I use a 13" porcelain floor tile for a kitchen backsplash? How would I place them? On the straight edge or diagonal? I have never done a backsplash before and am wondering if I study up enough is it realistic to expect that I can figure my way through it? Any thoughts or suggestions? Warnings? New creative ideas?

Thanks for your input!
Attached Thumbnails
backsplash... change of plans-photo-3-.jpg  
juliebun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #2

I am partial to diagonal cut tiles on the back splash.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #3

You would need to tell us the height of the backsplash. A 13" tile has a diagonal of about 18 1/4". On an 18" wide backslpash this would make a diagonal layout work well. You wouldn't have any very small pieces that would look odd with such a large tile.
If the backsplash was 19/20", the design would not look good.
The tile is too large to set parallel to the counter. If that design is something you like, you would use 6-8" tiles.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote