Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Backer board over sheetrock before installing glass tile backsplash?

I'm in the process of remodeling our kitchen. I just removed the old laminate countertops and backsplash. My granite is set to be installed Tuesday. When removing the old backsplash it tore up the existing drywall. I was wondering if I could install a thin backer board over the drywall. This would be to prevent having to tear out the old drywall or prep wall. It does have some rather large tears and glue left over from the removal.

I'm new to remodeling and this is my first big project and I've been watching how to videos and reading lots online, but I thought I would ask to see what answers I get from other do it yourselfers...

Thanks in advance for your answers!!!

ryder18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
Tileguy

What will you do with the edges of the backerboard if you just apply it over the drywall? Will any of the backerboard edges be exposed?

I would suggest you either repair the drywall and apply the tile to it or replace the drywall with new drywall and apply the tile. Backerboard is not necessary in this case.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #3

The glass tiles I bought for our bathroom had white on the back... so if you're worried the messy wall will show thru, I wouldn't be?

We have the same roughed up walls from removing "laminate" backsplash in our kitchen For me it's only a ~24" stretch of wall left original (rest was blueboareded and plastered). When I finally add the back splash I intend to just go over the rough plaster w/ the appropriate thinset...

If you are ending the tile on a wall where there is no corner or trim, you might consider putting up a tile edge. The installers who put up the very, very, expensive tile in my sisters kitchen/dining room just ended the tile on the wall where the last cabinet was (the wall continues into the dining room)... bugs me everytime i'm there because you see the edge of the thinset, the edge of the tile, etc... they did a good considering, but it would look better with a tile edge.
bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back splash, backer board, drywall repair, kitchen remodel