Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Back-painted Glass Backsplash

Does anyone have any experience with painted glass back-splashes? Not the small tiles but large pieces of glass cut to fit?

allthumb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

you need to use a diamond blade made for cutting glass. These are not the same as one made for cutting ceramic tiles. Aslo cut from the back side so no chips occur on the painted side which show through. I usually score the back side with the blade then cut from the front side to avoid any chips on either side.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
you need to use a diamond blade made for cutting glass. These are not the same as one made for cutting ceramic tiles. Aslo cut from the back side so no chips occur on the painted side which show through. I usually score the back side with the blade then cut from the front side to avoid any chips on either side.
Thanks for the advise, but I was hoping for recommendations of companies that do this type of work. A friend told me good things about a company named Eurostyle Glass Colours but I was looking for other companies to compare them to.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #4

FOLLOW-UP: Called the guys at Eurostyle Glass Colours in Boca Raton, FL and they were very helpful. We have selected our backpainted colors and they sent samples to apply to the backsplash. The price was very reasonable and they also helped us select a glass and mirror company to do the installation. The backsplash should ship within the next three weeks.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthumb1 View Post
FOLLOW-UP: Called the guys at Eurostyle Glass Colours in Boca Raton, FL and they were very helpful. We have selected our backpainted colors and they sent samples to apply to the backsplash. The price was very reasonable and they also helped us select a glass and mirror company to do the installation. The backsplash should ship within the next three weeks.
Update??
jackie treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie treehorn View Post
Update??
The back-splash looks amazing! The work was done by Eurostyle Glass Colours in Boca Raton, Fl. We could not be happier!
Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #7

How's the maintenance, easy to water spot etc?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie treehorn View Post
How's the maintenance, easy to water spot etc?
I have not seen any water spots. The guys at Eurostyle told us to treat it just like mirror. So, we use Windex to clean it.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:16 AM   #9

Have any pics?

I just put up glass mosaic (small tiles on 12x12 mesh) and they are nice.
Sephora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:42 PM   #10

My husband and I used http://www.glassprimer.com glass backsplash paint to make our glass backsplash. We shopped around and and were overwhelmed by the high price we had to pay for a glass backspalsh, prices we found ranged from $40.00-$70.00 per sq foot!! We contacted the glass paint place above and they instructed us on how to make one our self, They were easy to talk to and answered all of our questions. we paid less than $5.00 per square foot and it was a breeze!
craftsbykelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #11

I just came across them a couple days ago in my searchings. Doesn't look to hard to do, do you have any pics of yours?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsbykelly View Post
My husband and I used http://www.glassprimer.com glass backsplash paint to make our glass backsplash. We shopped around and and were overwhelmed by the high price we had to pay for a glass backspalsh, prices we found ranged from $40.00-$70.00 per sq foot!! We contacted the glass paint place above and they instructed us on how to make one our self, They were easy to talk to and answered all of our questions. we paid less than $5.00 per square foot and it was a breeze!
We have a friend that used the Glass Primer.com guy. He actually painted the glass for our friends since they are local to his shop. Long story short, the paint pealed off the glass and he would not do anything for him. Our friend is considering suing him. I think you get what you pay for.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #13

wow, really? They told me they do not make backsplashes and only sell glass paint?? We first ordered a sample from them to see how good the paint was because we were skeptical. The sample was really solid and hard. We had no problems with them and they told us everything we needed to know for putting the glass in.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #14

if you dont mind me asking, what did you pay per square foot for your backsplash? I never got a price from your guy. I got quotes from bendhieam glass and glasskote backsplashes and the prices were kind of high, more than granite..
Old 10-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsbykelly View Post
if you dont mind me asking, what did you pay per square foot for your backsplash? I never got a price from your guy. I got quotes from bendhieam glass and glasskote backsplashes and the prices were kind of high, more than granite..
I don't know what the square foot price was. We found two local companies that offered it and went with Eurostyle for a number of reasons beyond just price. Mainly we felt they offered the best overall value and had tons of references that swore by them. I had no intention of cutting glass, painting and installing it myself like the guy from glass primer suggested! I think some projects are best left to the professionals.