DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Another hardibacker vs durock thread....

10K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  costgeek 
#1 ·
Greetings all, this is my first shower remodel and I have it all torn down to the studs. I've gotten mixed responses/search results from my basic questions.

I'm going to be using synthetic/engineered marble slabs for the shower walls.

Remember this is for shower walls, not tile floors:

1)Hardibacker or durock under the slabs?

2)Will the eng marble adhere better to one vs the other? One thought of mine is the cement board is only as strong as the paper attached to it, will the weight of the syn marble pull at that over time?

3)studs/vapor barrier/hardi or durock/slabs OR studs/hardi or durock/thinset over seams/slabs

Those are the main questions I have at this time, I'll add as I think of them

Thanks!

#4 ·
It is difficult to cut--hard to sink the screws or nails below the surface--it is less than 1/2" thick, so it does not mate up with 1/2" drywall and if you do not wet the hardi before applying thinset--it will suck out the moisture from the thinset,causing bonding issues.---other than that,I guess it's okay.

#5 ·
Gotcha. How about vapor barrier? I try to avoid listening to Lowe's employees......one of the guys there told me it's no longer recommended to use a vapor barrier as they actually keep moisture in and create mold issues.

Should I use a vapor barrier between the studs and durock, or just use thinset over the seams?

#8 ·
So I've decided on and purchased the cement board. I've shimmed the studs and made sure they're plum. The only remaining thing before putting the slabs up is how to waterproof it.

1) studs/vapor barrier/cement board/slabs

or

2) studs/cement board/mesh tape and thinset over the seams/slabs

If I do #2, I know generally with tile, you put the thinset and meshtape over the entire surface of the cement board...but with full slabs that have no chance of leakage in the center, would I need that much, or would just doing the seams be sufficient?

Keep in mind all walls are inside walls

#13 ·
No, you should still fill the seams. I'd just fill them with thinset.

I did not use a vapor barrier on my shower. I used a liquid membrane. I did full coverage 6 inches up the shower and all the seams. This way the shower will hold water until it gets over the curb (then it doesn't matter).

I've done several showers on rental properties and honestly never seen a vapor barrier behind durock, or issues with not having one.

A steam shower is another issue...

#14 ·
Oh and to chime in one hardiebacker, I agree with O'mike. For walls you want a substrate that with be flush with drywall.

I do like to use hardiebacker on the bathroom floor though since it is slimmer. I also believe it stands up better to water which is a good thing on flat surfaces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.