Alligatoring Of Second Paint Coat - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2005, 06:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Alligatoring of second paint coat

Was too impatient and painted top coat over base coat on walls too soon. Now have alligator like cracking all over walls. Would it be okay to paint another coat over the top once it is properly dry. Or do I need to sand it down (again!)????Help!

Advertisement

zoeeoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Hi

I am not to sure this only happened because you painted too soon!
"alligator like cracking all over walls" sounds more like a paint incompatibility problem. It sound like you may be trying to apply a latex over an oil base paint or some other incompatible combination. First whatever you do it will of course need to be sanded down or stripped or whatever you need to do to make it smooth again. Then I recommend sealing it with a quality paint sealer. Products vary but most will help solve your problem. Make sure it can be covered with the paint you plan to use in the room. Then after that is set and dry you should be able to paint you walls without the ralligator pattern.

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2005, 09:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Well I had only left the first coat of white emulsion to dry to touch for a couple of hours before painting another coat of white on top. Fortunately run out of white paint, so only did 2 walls with a second coat. The 2 walls that I didnt get my hands on have dried okay. Will sand the cracked ones down before painting on top.

I couldnt tell what type of paint had previously been used. Before sanded the paint was kind of shiny and strange in the fact you could peel it almost like elastic glue. I dont know if this is a certain type of paint that would not be compatible with white emulsion?
zoeeoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

From your description it sound to me that your original paint was an oil based or even rubber based paint. If your emulsion paint is water based then no the previous paint should probably be sealed. A quick way to tell if it is water based is what the manufacture recommends clean up with. If it is water then you should probably be using sealer first. Oh well, You are a bit further then the first coat. Being in the us I am not used to the term "emulsion paint" we have various types of paints generally acrylic, latex, and oil but they are probably very similar just different terminology.

Maybe a painter will see this thread and add more info or verify what I am thinking is indeed correct or not.

Good luck, you could always cover the mess with paneling or somthing. Just joking, well maybe not?