Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #1

Share |

Adhesive for a granite counter top.

I wasnt sure about which forum to ask this question in.

Our countertop, the part that runs in front of the sink has developed a through crack (probably from the kids jumping up onto it) and I'd like to know what adhesive I can use to repair it?

Also any tips on repairing it are welcome.

Steven Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Granite joints are glued with two part epoxy paste, and depending on the particular stone, is sometimes tinted to be less conspicious. Since this is a thick paste, you need to be able to apply the material directly to the ends being joined, pretty much ruling it out for your application, if I understand the situation correctly. Even though you can buy pure two part epoxy resin without any fillers (thickening material) , I don't think you will be able to force it deep enough into the crack to be effective. This thin strip at the sink is always the most fragile part of a top, especially when the installer does not support it fully. If your top has a fabricated build down along the edge to give the slab a thicker look, there is usually lots of unsupported areas between the spacers used between the cabinet boxes and the slab. Look inside the cabinets and this gap will be easily visible.
I'd suggest fitting a solid shim across the sink area to prevent more cracking. Make it just loose enough to easily slip in the gap, and glue in place with silicone. Removing the false drawer fronts will make access a lot easier; they usually are held in place with a couple of push on type clips or plastic clips and a couple of screws or staples.
If you have a flat slab without the build down, the gap will be much smaller (0 to 1/4") and can be supported with a good bead of silicone squeezed in from the inside of the cabinet. A 12" piece of clear tubing forced onto the end of the silicone tube tip will give you a long flexible nozzle for reaching in between the sink and cabinet.
As for the crack itself, I don't think there is anything you can do to it as a diy that is not just going to make it more conspicious.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Glad To Be Here

Although I can't recall where, I recently saw an idea that may be applicable for your situation.

The idea was to thin the epoxy some and with a syringe type applicator apply the epoxy to one side of the crack while drawing a vacuum on the other side to draw it through.

If nothing else comes along it may be worth a try. Check with the epoxy manufacturer for a suitable thinning agent.
Pro_DYIer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #4

Thank you both for the responses.

Trouble seeker I'll give your advice a shot. Thanks for taking your time to offer the information. Everything you said is as if you were standing in our kitchen looking at it. The crack is tight and you right about getting it (epoxy) in there.

Pro, I was wondering how I would be able to seperate the two pieces and get the epoxy in. This method sounds like it would work. The crack isnt all that noticeable unless you know its there. My girl never noticed it until I pointed it out. So until I absolutely have to epoxy it I am gonna hold off but I will keep your tip in mind.

Thanks.
Steven Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Glad To Be Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Jackson View Post
Thank you both for the responses.

Pro, I was wondering how I would be able to separate the two pieces and get the epoxy in. This method sounds like it would work. The crack isn't all that noticeable unless you know its there. My girl never noticed it until I pointed it out. So until I absolutely have to epoxy it I am gonna hold off but I will keep your tip in mind.

Thanks.

No problem, good luck with it.

My only caution would be if you wait that could allow cleaning products, oil or other contaminates into the crack compromizing the ability of the epoxy to adhere to the surfaces.
Pro_DYIer is offline   Reply With Quote