Adding Backsplash To Walls That Curve - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Adding backsplash to walls that curve

I'm researching adding backsplash tile. I'm looking at those small 1 inch by 1 inch tiles that are on 10in by 10in mesh backing. In my condo in the kitchen, the back wall doesn't meet at 90 degrees as it is curved. I calculated the curve to be about 130 degrees with the drywall actually being curved. So I have the wall with the kitchen sink a curve of 130 degrees to the next wall and then another 130 degree curve to the wall with the stove and microwave. I'm sure the meshed back tiles would flow with the curve. I'm just concerned that curve would make the grout lines smaller at the curve giving the backsplash a funny appearance. Should I just go with the curve or should I stop at the curve add some spacers and start a new meshed back tile sheet?

Advertisement

Last edited by grand_canyon; 09-21-2012 at 10:56 PM.
grand_canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,186

If you can figure out how to post a picture please do so---I can't picture the curve at all---Mike---

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #3

Yes, I've attached a pic but the pic looks like the wall is at 90 degrees when it isn't so I have a crude drawing next to the pic. The 130 is the angle I calculated.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,030

looks angled not curved
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #5

Your are correct. I should've said angled.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Haha am I the only one who was picturing a round house?

You can use any type of tile you want, you'll just have to cut a bevel on a few tiles to make it sit flat. Personally I'm not a fan of 1x1s as a back splash.
FTF-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #7

Why don't you like the 1x1s? Appearance? Installing? Maintenance? What do you recommend? I'm a rookie at this so I will take any advice.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,186

Thanks for the picture and drawing---most times that type of corner is referred to as a 45* clipped corner----

Set the row of tiles on the clipped corner first----then work from there---

Mosaics are the most challenging type of tile to set for pro or beginner---they are like rocks glued to cloth---so keeping the grout lines straight presents a real challenge----cutting is difficult to,as the tiles often come unglued when they get wet from cutting with a wet saw.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

i love the look of 1x1 tiles myself, but unfortunately my house walls wont support them. They would look beautiful in your kitchen though. Just make sure to color coordinate. since you have a white countertop, try a pastel-colored backsplash and add a few vases or decorations to make the color pop. You could even get the same color green as your current paint if you searched long enough, just make sure the company is reliable if you order online.
Adding on what Oh'mike said, there is a product called tile snips that cut the tiny tiles so that a wet saw isnt necessary. They use it on Kitchen Crashers all the time. the mesh can be cut with a utility knife.

Last edited by firsttimeremode; 09-24-2012 at 11:46 AM.
firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Tile nips may or may not work depending on the kind of tile and just whether you get lucky or not. If you use tile nips on 1x1 glass tile, they very well may just crack the tile, or cause a non-straight break. Natural stone tile nips work very well on as the stone is more porous and can "crumble" easier vs. shattering. I learned this when installing my backsplash. Of course, even with a wet tile saw you can end up w/ some cracked glass tiles when cutting them, but it generally works much better imo. I know some folks like these small mosaic sheets because on some tv shows they say u don't need to cut the tiles, but I ended up needing to make a bunch of cuts in order to not have big gaps between the cabinets and backsplash in spots. I suppose though you could just splooge caulk to fill a 1/2"+ gap, but I think it'd look like crap and look like a DIY job.

Advertisement

NewHomeDIYGuy is offline   Reply With Quote