Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 85
Share |
Default

5 piece tub surround?


Not sure what section to post this under so I picked this section

I'm remodeling my bathroom and replace the cast tub with a new one. I roughed the plumbing based on using a 5 part tub/shower enclosure. I didn't realize until I bought one how cheap and flimsy they are. So now I've done all the work to get to this point and am not sure what to do. I can still go ahead with the 5 pc thing and hope for the best, I can't really tile because I put the tube valve thing in based just on the 1/2" drywall not another 1/2". Any suggestions or experience with the enclosures? Thanks, 1

1dumbquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,108
Default

5 piece tub surround?


There are 'extender kits' available for most brands of mixer valves---which would allow you to tile without moving the mixer to the proper position.

However---moving the mixer forward could be done simply enough in your situation.

As to the 5 piece surrounds---I've installed a few and I don't like them----cheap looking and they look old very fast if the tub is used frequently.

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 85
Default

5 piece tub surround?


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
There are 'extender kits' available for most brands of mixer valves---which would allow you to tile without moving the mixer to the proper position.

However---moving the mixer forward could be done simply enough in your situation.

As to the 5 piece surrounds---I've installed a few and I don't like them----cheap looking and they look old very fast if the tub is used frequently.
thanks, I didn't know about the extender kits. sounds like I don't want to use the 5 pcs kit. so if I want to tile then I'm going to have a 1/2" thick exposure to take care of if I need to put cement board and tile over the drywall. any ideas on how to take care of that issue? Thanks, 1
1dumbquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,108
Default

5 piece tub surround?


If you can post a picture of what you have--that would be a real help---

Also --what brand of mixer valve?

Most valves have a certain tolerance for missed measurements---You will have 1/2" Durrock and another 3/8" or so for tile----Install the plastic protector that comes with the valve and let us know how far out from the face of the studs---
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 85
Default

5 piece tub surround?


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
If you can post a picture of what you have--that would be a real help---

Also --what brand of mixer valve?

Most valves have a certain tolerance for missed measurements---You will have 1/2" Durrock and another 3/8" or so for tile----Install the plastic protector that comes with the valve and let us know how far out from the face of the studs---
I've never had any luck posting pictures. the mixer is a Glacier Bay from HD. the plastic black spacer is flush with the front of the drywall. before I hung the drywall I test fitted the handle based on the this tub surrond and it seamed fine. but now that I'm considering tile I'm not sure? I assume putting tile right over the green drywall is not acceptable. I guess I could cut out the drywall and hang cement board on the studs and then tile, but I was hoping to not rip out what I just finished. advise? thanks, 1

Last edited by 1dumbquestion; 03-20-2012 at 11:43 AM.
1dumbquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,541
Default

5 piece tub surround?


Glacier Bay is the cheapest of the cheap brand of faucets, in most cases they start dripping within a year, all cheap plastic insides.
One other choise is to remove the encloshuer you have and install a nail on one instead. There at least 3 times thicker then a glue on.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 85
Default

5 piece tub surround?


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Glacier Bay is the cheapest of the cheap brand of faucets, in most cases they start dripping within a year, all cheap plastic insides.
One other choise is to remove the encloshuer you have and install a nail on one instead. There at least 3 times thicker then a glue on.
nail on style? didn't even see that option at the store. I haven't installed any enclosure yet, just finished the drywall and tiled the floor last night. I'll look for a nail on style and see what I find. Thanks, 1

Last edited by 1dumbquestion; 03-20-2012 at 12:17 PM.
1dumbquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 85
Default

5 piece tub surround?


update: I just went to HD and all of the nail/screw type enclosures I saw are designed for a certain tub that I did not purchase and install so they won't work for my application.
1dumbquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,108
Default

5 piece tub surround?


I've never used Glacier Bay--Call their customer service line and see what the tolerance is for depth in the wall.

Change the drywall for Durrock and waterproof it with Red Guard before tiling.

A properly done tile surround should give you over 20 years of service---Will you be able to get repair parts for that brand of mixer in 10 or 15 years? Can you even get them today,if needed?
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Stuck in the 70's
 
Blondesense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: south central Missouri
Posts: 2,100
Default

5 piece tub surround?


I've never used the Schluter-Kerdi products. But you might check them out. My understanding is that is about the only way drywall (even the moisture resistant stuff) is allowed in a tiled shower.

http://www.schluter.com/8_1_kerdi.aspx
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 85
Default

5 piece tub surround?


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I've never used Glacier Bay--Call their customer service line and see what the tolerance is for depth in the wall.

Change the drywall for Durrock and waterproof it with Red Guard before tiling.

A properly done tile surround should give you over 20 years of service---Will you be able to get repair parts for that brand of mixer in 10 or 15 years? Can you even get them today,if needed?
fair enough, since it looks like I'll be removing the drywall anyway I guess now would be the time to replace the mixer with a better model. I'll go with the Durrock/RedGuard as suggested. Thanks for leading me to the right way. 1
1dumbquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #12
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,108
Default

5 piece tub surround?


Moen and Delta would be the top two choices in my experience---
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 85
Default

5 piece tub surround?


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Moen and Delta would be the top two choices in my experience---
I went to the house last night and it turns out it's an American Standard, not sure if that's ok or if I should step up to a better model. must have got my wires crossed as one of the cieling fans is a Hampton Bay. I bought a gallon of the Red Gaurd it looks like just a gallon might be enough, didn't realize it was going to be almost $50.00 but if it works then well worth it. thanks, 1
1dumbquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #14
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,108
Default

5 piece tub surround?


American Standard is a troublesome brand--no parts available except from the company---if you have trouble you will need to mail order the repair parts.

$50 well spent--I use Hydroban--almost $90 a gallon.(but a well spent $90)

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shower surround with window freakinjosh Carpentry 5 10-19-2011 10:10 AM
Shower Surround & drywall transition mchull Drywall & Plaster 5 08-19-2010 03:31 PM
Tub Surround Install Question tmbrink Remodeling 5 02-13-2010 05:02 PM
Tiled Shower Surround Help CluelessNewbie Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 4 02-10-2010 09:33 AM
Removing single piece of siding shortagain Remodeling 4 01-02-2006 10:12 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.