Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

30 year old home needs master bath remodel/addition.

Did my husband and I make a mistake in buying a home that needs the master bath enlarged? We paid $650,000.00 (appraised value) for a good house in a good area, but has a teeny tiny master bath. For $50k more, we could have purchased a house that already has an ample master bath. Buyer's remorse, maybe??

Eaglepose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Eagle,
I guess it depends on what your definition of teeny-tiny master bath is. How big is the house and how big is the bath in comparison? And also, what part of the country are you in? Around here, $650K gets you a master bath the size of a two car garage, especially with the downturn in the housing market. And yes, if the other house was comparable in size, and you liked it, and it had the larger master bath, then you probably should have bought it. It's pretty easy in a larger home to spend $50K on a master bath remodel, and that's when the space it already there.

Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglepose View Post
Did my husband and I make a mistake in buying a home that needs the master bath enlarged? We paid $650,000.00 (appraised value) for a good house in a good area, but has a teeny tiny master bath. For $50k more, we could have purchased a house that already has an ample master bath. Buyer's remorse, maybe??
Asking a bunch of DIY'ers on the internet this question is kinda pointless.

The answer to your question if a function of the housing market in your area, comparables in your neighborhood, and what it is you want out of a house. Every house is different and requires some compromises. Whether or not a given house is a good "value" or not is between you and your husband and your realtor.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote