Is $1500 A Reasonable Price To Install A Fiberglass Tub? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Is $1500 a reasonable price to install a fiberglass tub?

I did some digging (well, cutting really...into drywall) and found that my 30" tub sits over a fairly large hole in my foundation for the drain pipe. I had a plumber come give me an estimate on installing a new 32" tub in my bathroom, which will be taken down to the studs when the tub goes in. He may have to move the drain over (which he said might take 20 minutes with 2 guys, if its even necessary) and he would move the supply lines over an inch or two so they'd still be centered.

The tub is a standard 60x32 alcove and is not jetted or anything. The only thing he would be doing is installing the tub and shifting the supply lines a little - no tiling, flooring, fixtures or anything.

To me, $1500 seems unnecessarily high. I can't get anyone else to give me any kind of quote over the phone, and they only come out during working hours, and charge $50-$100 for the 'service call' on estimates. This company is rated very high on AngiesList and has been around here for over 30 years. I feel like he figures he can just charge whatever given his reputation.

It's frustrating for me, because the tub is the only thing I'm having a plumber do - thanks to this great state, I have to take a 'home plumber' test if I want to be able to get a permit to do this myself, and I don't have time for that.

I have a picture of what my drain situation looks like, which I'll upload shortly. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

It's really not fair to ask any of us what is a reasonable bid for your area and that is not what this site is for. I hope you wouldn't trust us to give sound advice without seeing your project in person any more than you would trust someone quoting over the phone? It sounds like you have a reputable contractor in mind and sometimes it is worth a bit more for that piece of mind. I would just check around for alternate bids.

Don't mean to be harsh and I am sure it is frustratiing. It would be cool if there was a place where people could post what they pay for things so people could research and get an idea of what to expect to pay for similar projects?

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 01-27-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
It's really not fair to ask any of us what is a reasonable bid for your area and that is not what this site is for. I hope you wouldn't trust us to give sound advice without seeing your project in person any more than you would trust someone quoting over the phone? It sounds like you have a reputable contractor in mind and sometimes it is worth a bit more for that piece of mind. I would just check around for alternate bids.

Don't mean to be harsh and I am sure it is frustratiing. It would be cool if there was a place where people could post what they pay for things so people could research and get an idea of what to expect to pay for similar projects?
I understand what you mean, and I wasn't expecting for someone to tell me exactly what it should cost. I'm looking more for an idea of what it shouldn't cost. I just feel like this is a pretty basic installation, and if $300 was the norm, in any area, then $1500 in North Carolina would clearly be too high.

For what it's worth, here is a picture of the hole in my foundation. For your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Is 00 a reasonable price to install a fiberglass tub?-img_0012-large-.jpg  
Old 01-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

This site is geared towards DIY, not cost estimates
Get several local quotes & check references

Thank you
Closed Thread