12"x12" Mesh Back Mosiac Tile Above Fiberglass Shower - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

12"x12" mesh back mosiac tile above fiberglass shower

Im a first time poster and newb when it comes to DIY...but, Im finding I very much enjoy it. On to the question, my recently purchased starter home townhouse is 14 yrs old and Im redoing the master bath...I dont want to sink a bunch of money into it, so, one of the upgrades I want to do is tile above the stand up fiberglass shower. The shower head is about level with the top of the fiberglass shower and then from there up, its drywall. The water does not directly spray onto this drywall.

The drywall in this area definately needs to be sanded and scuffed up (as the paper appears to be deteriorating slightly in one area). Again, there is no water that would directly hit this area...I guess the steam from the shower (not a steam shower tho) created this. Can I sand, remove the deteririated paper area, fill in with joint compund and then apply thin set directly to the wall? Should I apply any primer first? If so, what thin set and/or primer would you all reccomend?

I appreciate any advice someone can give me! Thanks!

Advertisement

SER56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,290

The drywall will be fine for that area---definitely patch and prime the damaged area---use a bag mix
20 or 45 minute easy sand---prime with Zinser 123 or the equivalent--

Use a good quality white modified thinset--"Mud" What Is It? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

Mosaic can be a challenge ,as the sheets are often a bit out of square--be patient and stand back every now and then and eyeball the work--a bit of adjusting is needed as you go along.

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks Mike! You seem to be a man amongst boys on here!!
SER56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,290

Thanks--I do try---I should be heading to the job instead of typing---Mike---