Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #1

Share |

Your Opinion's Please

So I have 2 problems which may, or may not be related..

Heres the plumbing setup:
1/2 HP a.o. smith anc-30 jet pump for well
WM-6 wellmate pressure tank (20 gallon - See problem #2)
Dupont Whole House Filter (lots of sediment build up)
Morton Salt Water Softener

Problem #1:
My washer and slop sink are the first hit off my main hot/cold runs. If the washing machine is on, I get horrible pressure at my shower. The shower head requires 2.5 GPM. The area to the left of the connections has a ton of calcium build up (I think that's the greenish-blue-white stuff), and sometime in the next month or so I'll be redoing these connections with new pipe. While I'm redoing this, is there any type of copper manifold I can use so that my washing machine, and my shower get the same pressure? I'm in illinois and not sure if PEX is approved for McHenry County. Almost all of my plumbing is centralized (basement plumbing, directly above it, is the kitchen, and directly above that is the Full bath. The top two stories are all daisy changed off the 1 hot, and 1 cold going to the cieling in this picture:

Problem 2 (which may help problem #1).
Some of the fittings in the above picture started leaking so I replaced them. In doing so, I spent a lot of time next to my well pump and pressure tank. After flushing a toilet and washing your hands, the well pump has to kick on to fill the pressure tank. It's a WM-6 20-gallon pressure tank, and the pressure switch on the pump is set to 30/50.

My plumbing fixtures are as follows:

Outside: 2 outside hose bibs
Basement: 1 washer, 1 slop sink, whole house humidifier
1st floor: Kitchen sink, dishwaser, icemaker/water for fridge, 1/2 bath sink, toilet
2nd floor: Full bath:Shower, sink, toilet, master 1/2: toilet,sink

That totals 15 fixtures. I beleive my pressure tanks is WAYYYYY undersized for my home, and every where I've read is "Bigger the better". I plan to get at least a 62 gallon Well-x-Trol Pressure Tank, and run the well mate with it at the same time for 82 gallons. Would this help with problem #1? Would you agree that the pressure tank is way to small for my home?

We bought this house last year, and we realized the family who owned it was on a "replace if broken, otherwise do nothing" approach to everything. The kitchen had 80's appliances, and some old school water softener. But they had a 1k bradford-white 75 gallon hot water heater (that the tank went out on in august -replaced with 50 gallon) and a $700 bosch dishwasher). Every fixture had calcium build up on it (for example full bath sink, when you turn it on, you can see the green buildup under the faucet handle, and it leaks), and the shower pull knob was extremely difficult to use. They did tell me they used the block salt instead of the regular bagged salt.

Suggestions? Questions? HELP!?

I can get more pictures if needed.

bbguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote