Yoke & Meter Spot - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 99

Yoke & Meter Spot

I found out what seems to be Yoke for the water meter. The following:

But I never dealt with water meters and yokes before, so I need some orientation. Does it seem that the yoke is complete (not broken or missing anything)? Should that valve control the water coming from the utility company or the is it used to shut off the water going to my house, and the pipe under the yoke then brings the water from the utility company?

thanks for any help

Advertisement

tk3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,726

Yoke & Meter Spot

You have alot of water damage. Do you have the meter?

Advertisement

Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #3

Yoke & Meter Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
You have alot of water damage. Do you have the meter?
There is not meter and it is my understanding that water shut off from the street. The water damage is from the roof, not necessary the house roof but a 3 seasons room that was added to the house and the water is slipping in from above. That house was vacant for a long time, thus the problem just got worse over time.

I believe that there are two valves on each side of the yoke that are not shown on the pic.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #4

Yoke & Meter Spot

What your first picture is is the meter setting. That is where a water meter go's. Look like everything is ok.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Yoke & Meter Spot

That is the same setup as mine. Water comes in on one side, out the other side. No need to insulate the Cold water line, unless it was done for sound dampening purposes. Possible Water Hammer.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #6

Yoke & Meter Spot

Good to know, thanks.

So, I went to the craw space and found that at the same room where the previous well water apparatus is located there is also a much newer water heater (electrical) and at the corner there is a 3/4 copper pipe together with some brass pipes and valve (I am assuming these belong to the old well system). It seems likely that the 3/4 copper pipe is the main entry of water into the house's water heater (or house as a whole), but I need another opinion! Below is a pic depicting the situation:

Old 04-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #7

Yoke & Meter Spot

Honestly If I was you you should plan on replacing all your water lines from the meter on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (04-13-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 11:50 PM   #8

Yoke & Meter Spot

Hello Folks,

It has been a while since I posted on this thread; reason been that I was away from the property shown in previous posts. And after some inspection and time in the property, it seems that that the water damage was actually come from the yoke (not the roof). I assumed it was originated from roof given that there was a small water infiltration there which could then find its way to the kitchen, and since the water was shut off at the street (by utility company) the roof reasoning took hold.

The water leaking and infiltration actually seems to be originated on the yoke. It seems to be a very small leak that has persisted for a long time. Could it be that even though the water was shut off at the street and there was not meter connected to the yoke, but still the water leaking was coming from the yoke?

Another thing that I noticed when turning the water at the yoke's valve was that at first moment with the pressure building up throughout the housing pipes there was a significant leak on the valve itself, but once the pressure stabilized the initial leak on the valve seemed to almost disappear (a very small leak).

Any insights would be appreciated

Advertisement