DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Is yellow polyethelene or polyphenol gas pipe now the preferred gas conduit?

8K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kenmac 
#1 · (Edited)
I need to replace a 3/4 inch natural gas black pipe line to an outdoor barbecue that runs out of the basement, travels 20 feet through a metal sleeve deep inside a concrete deck or patio, emerges on the exterior face and travels another 28 feet on the face of the deck to the barbecue. The pipe is now badly corroded and brittle.

Do I run new medium density polyethelene (MDPE) pipe through the metal sleeve to the exterior, and then revert to black pipe outside on the deck face, or do I continue with the plastic pipe? Must the plastic pipe then run through another sleeve? Metal or plastic?

When I went to buy the yellow pipe, they told me I needed risers. I asked if risers were the same as traps. They said No. I didn't buy it, as I need to learn how to safely and properly install the replacement run.

I am told I can no longer use black pipe through the concrete deck, as one metal pipe inside another will cause galvanic action between the two metal pipes. Either I must chop through the concrete to install plastic conduit for black pipe, or I must use plastic gas pipe through the existing metal pipe.

This simple gas pipe replacement project has me stymied. If you've read this far and remain interested, I bought 50 feet of flexible vinyl coated stainless gas pipe, but was stopped going out the door. It turned out they could not sell it to me, as I was not certified by the mfrr to install it. The supply house reversed the sale, but offered to sell me MDPE or black pipe, so long as I used risers with the MDPE, but I do not know what a riser is. They also gave me the name of a certified flexible pipe installer. They told me they are not even permitted to sell the flexible pipe to licensed plumbers. They must be certified by the specific pipe mfr.

Your comments and suggestions are REALLY needed.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
yes you can insert the yollow plastic through a sleeve.. You will need the risers & couplings To tie the plastic to as you can't use the plastic above grade.. Run the plastic the entire length. Then, use the riser or risers..
I use polyethelene pipe

Don't do this Unless you are certified & know how.. Gas can be dangerous for a DIYER

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.