Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #1

Share |

Would this be a 'P' trap or an illegal 'S' trap?

I'm draining a reno bathtub connection, 1 1/2 inch into an existing cast 'T' which is a vent above the 'T' joint. Yes, I know the joint is a sani-T , but that's life without replacing the whole thing drain/stack combo. The reno drain is a standard 1 1/2 inch ABS tub/overflow drain kit. Limited room means: the kit allows for the overflow and tub drain to connect with the proper sani-T, then after this becomes the lack of room. Can I come off the bottom of the T with a 90 elbow, outlet at the horizontal, then immediately connect another 90 down to the P trap, outlet the P trap with the horizontal 90 the P trap comes with and immediately (horizontally) into the old cast T into the vented vertical drain pipe? The only plumbing above this connection is the remainder of the cast pipe which is only a vent/stack connecting to the main stack and no other 'drain'. A plumber said this would not pass inspection, but again, it is not a conventional illegal S trap.

klondiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #2

To clarify,maybe, the 2 ABS 90's takes me a bit further away from the cast T fitting in order to make enough room for the modern ABS P-trap, then drops about an inch into the P trap. The cast T has a male thread fitting onto which I've ABSed a thread to ABS glue fitting. The plumber's concern was for the two 90 elbows coming off the tub sani-T, then down into the P-trap, thus making an 's' trap in his opinion.

Last edited by klondiker; 04-05-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #3

maybe because I'm tired-- but you lost me half way through If you are not putting 90's pointing vertical between the trap and vent (trap arm) you are ok-
Can you supply a picture?

Last edited by TheEplumber; 04-06-2012 at 12:11 AM.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Tailpiece : Piping coming from the fixture outlet into the p-trap. This must stay vertical. Our plumbing code allows us to be at 45* and still be vertical.

Thus your two 90* offsets before the inlet of the p-trap would be a violation.

I wouldn't call it an s-trap, maybe more like a running trap but nonetheless it still isn't correct.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #5

Thx guys. No pic available, I already took out the tailpiece to start fresh. What I need is to shift the tailpiece off center of the tub to the right to allow room to connect the P trap to the outlet T. So, I start with the P-trap connected to the stack. It sounds like, Alan, that I could get tailpiece alignment by installing two 45's in the vertical pipe between the overflow and the sani-T coming from the tub drain, then turning the horizontal drain run and sani-T to the right to line up with the offset overflow pipe. The new configuration would be such that the tailpiece would line up still vertically with the P-trap that would already be connected to the T in the stack. Correct?
Old 04-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #6

What exactly is in your way? I still have a hard time picturing your set up
I have configured waste and overflows different ways.
There is nothing wrong with making the outlet drain piping horizontal before dropping into the trap. In reality, you're just lengthening the tub shoe. Picture a continuous waste under a kitchen sink. it has 90's and horizontal pipe before the trap
Old 04-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondiker View Post
Thx guys. No pic available, I already took out the tailpiece to start fresh. What I need is to shift the tailpiece off center of the tub to the right to allow room to connect the P trap to the outlet T. So, I start with the P-trap connected to the stack. It sounds like, Alan, that I could get tailpiece alignment by installing two 45's in the vertical pipe between the overflow and the sani-T coming from the tub drain, then turning the horizontal drain run and sani-T to the right to line up with the offset overflow pipe. The new configuration would be such that the tailpiece would line up still vertically with the P-trap that would already be connected to the T in the stack. Correct?
I have had to do that before due to floor joists being centered on tub drain. Offsetting the overflow is the easiest way to get around it. Is it impossible to put a new p-trap in where it needs to be?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Sounds like a running trap to me from what your describing anyway

The Following User Says Thank You to plummen For This Useful Post:
Alan (04-06-2012)