Would It Be OK To Use Two 45 Street Elbows To Offset Toilet Installation - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2012, 01:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

would it be OK to use two 45 street elbows to offset toilet installation

While my wife and I were away we had the good fortune of some helpers coming into town who went ahead and did a ton or renovation on the bathroom of our 1950s house.

The original galvanized waste lines from the sink, and tub were shot and the no-flange except for a non functional lead thingy toilet was down for the counts. In the process of getting things fixed up they installed ABS to everything and connected to the still functional cast iron waste line.

The problem is that they accidentally installed the toilet flange ~ 4 inches too close to the tub. The way things are plumbed, we cant just shorten a length of ABS to move in the right direction as all the joints glue into Ts and such right after the the waste pipe 90s from coming down from the flange. I understand that offset flanges are against code and one would only shift the toilet a couple of inches. There does appear to be enough room to stack 2 45 degree street elbows vertically to gain the offset we wish. These would be inline straight under the toilet flange.

Would this maneuver be against code? Our only other alternative would be to cut out one heck of a bunch of fittings and pipe to start over.

Is it essential that fluids enter the hub side of a street elbow? For our possible fix the hubs would need to be oriented down stream rather than the more conventional upstream.

Thanks for any informed replies.

Advertisement

SciGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:38 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,290

Any way you could post a picture?

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Under the Oregon plumbing code (based on UPC) there is nothing wrong with doing what you are proposing. I'm not sure exactly what offset you will gain (I think it's more than 4") but it will do the trick.

If 45* fittings are too much, there are 22-1/2* fittings (1/16 bend)

Good luck.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Under the Oregon plumbing code (based on UPC) there is nothing wrong with doing what you are proposing. I'm not sure exactly what offset you will gain (I think it's more than 4") but it will do the trick.

If 45* fittings are too much, there are 22-1/2* fittings (1/16 bend)

Good luck.
It looks like the gain is just over 4" by a quick eyeball survey. It also appears as if I have 4 1/2+ inches of space to the joist so it seems as if things will just fit. While we're at it, the rough in was set ~ 12 1/2 inches from the wall so I will be able to rotate that back a bit closer to the wall too if the joist is just a bit too close to the pipe.

Any advice with dealing with the subfloor? We're having tile installed so we want to maintain a good strong base. Cut out a center of joist to center joist rectangle in the area that contains the current misplaced and new hole for the flange?? or perhaps do a cut to fit partial circle to fill just the old hole and support with s 2 X 4 scabbed underneath?? I feel terrible cutting into this beautiful new 1 1/8" plywood.

Thanks so much for the input!
SciGuy is offline   Reply With Quote