Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

Would this be ok to do?

Actually, there are two things I am thinking of doing eventually pertaining to the sump pit.

Currently the cover has holes in it, and it is the only place where water could drain to, if there was a flood. What I'd like to do is seal this off somehow to prevent bugs from coming out. (the weeping tiles drain here, so bugs sometimes get in). Then I would break up the cement and run a drain near the furnace with a P trap. I would have the furnace drain there, instead of having the pipe laid across the ground to the sump pit. It would just tidy up things a bit. Now would this acidic substance eat into the pvc over time since I am adding a P trap?

Ok so that's the first plan, the other plan is easier to explain with a picture, so I attached it. Probably a bad time of year for this given it has water in it now and will have some most likely throughout all summer, but it could be a winter project. As long as it stays dry during the curing time... otherwise it could be a disaster.

So with either or both of these changes be an ok thing to do? I just want to tidy up that area and also prevent bugs from coming out of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Would this be ok to do?-sump-pit.jpg  

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:08 AM   #2

Would this be ok to do?

Assuming the drain is connected to the sewer system, neither is legal here. Sump water has to pumped outside or away from the house, never into the sewer system.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Would this be ok to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Assuming the drain is connected to the sewer system, neither is legal here. Sump water has to pumped outside or away from the house, never into the sewer system.
Yeah newer houses have it separately, but I believe here it's a single system. It was this way when I bought the house, so I just want to tidy it up. I thought it was weird too when I realized it was linked to the sewer system. The only reason I know it's not just a storm drain is when I had a small sewer backup issue with my main sewer line, poop came out of that hole.

I believe in newer houses/neighborhoods it would go to the city storm drain system and not the "toilet" sewer. Guess it could be it was built illegally from the start too...
Old 04-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #4

Would this be ok to do?

Here its a very stiff fine, can be over $1000
In heavy rain the waste sewer system gets overloaded & can't handle the volume
They have had amnesty programs here where they will come in & re-route the sump to fix the problem at no cost to the homeowner
Your best bet is to find out if its legal & if not fix the problem
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Would this be ok to do?

I'll look into that then, it does make sense that storm water would not be wanted in the sewage system. I've read that some places have two systems (storm and sewage), some have a combined one, so maybe I live where there's only one. I'll find out either way.

Now assuming this gets fixed and that sump pit now leads to the storm sewer, is the two things I want to do ok? The addition of a drain leading to it so I can make the furnace drain there (and in case of flood) as well as adding the cement bottom.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #6

Would this be ok to do?

If it leads to the storm drain (sewer) system that is seperate from the waste sewerage then you shoud be fine
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Would this be ok to do?

The furnace drain can also go out with the storm sewer? I know that water is a bit acidic, so not sure if it's considered bad for the environment or not. It is a very small amount so it would get diluted along the way so guess it would be ok. As for the P trap I would make, would that water eat through the pipe over time?
Old 04-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #8

Would this be ok to do?

Cranderry juice is more than 10x's as acidic as the average flue condensate.
I think your piping should be O.K.
SuperPlumberGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

Would this be ok to do?

Good to know. I was not sure how badly acidic it was. I just know that the metal cover on my sump pit is very rusty from it, but even regular water will rust metal over time.