Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:44 AM   #1

Share |

Worried about winter coming

I'm in the middle of a large 2500 square foot remodel. The top floor of my house is completely gutted and I'm now framing walls, plumbing, and doing electrical. Also replacing windows and some other things that need to get done before drywall.

Obviously, I need to get to drywall so I can blow insulation in the attic. I don't want the water pipes to freeze upstairs so I'm not sure how long I'll be able to go without insulation. The lower level will be heated and I will be able to turn on vents upstairs. I'm thinking I may not have drywall on until the middle of November. It will get down below freezing well before then. Any tips for getting through this?

wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:15 AM   #2

Few quick thought's I had initially are wrap/stuff insulation around the pipe's or if not being used, install a shut off valve on the heated fist floor and turn them off (supply to the 2nd floor) If they are empty, they will not freeze.

Good luck with the remodel!

dcd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Below freezing well before November? Where the heck do you live? The North Pole?
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:40 PM   #4

Where do I live? Minnesota.

Yep, it has snowed here in September. Belive it or not, you don't need to live at the North Pole to get freezing temps before November. I'm positive we will as we usually do.

Back in 1991, we had 2 feet of snow on Halloween.

Now, any tips?
wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:13 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

To start insulate the pipes. You then have two options. The easiest is to heat the area and keep is above freezing. Your wallet will not like it when you get the oil/gas bill though.
Your other option, and what I would do is to install shutoff valves and drain valves at the lowest point you can access (preferable the basement) on the pipes running to the uninsulated areas. Then drain the water down. You can also use a pump to be sure you suck all the water out. Even doing that though their is a chance of getting a leak. It's an easy repair if you do get one though.
If you can't install valves like that without shutting down your heat I don't know what to tell you except keep the area above freezing.

Last edited by Marlin; 09-01-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote