Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #1

Share |

Working with the waste line hazardous?

We have an old cast-iron wye from our internal pvc drain to the septic pcv drain and we're pretty sure that's what's causing the clogs so I got a quote to get it replaced with a pvc wye instead and the quote came back $588 for:

1) We shall cut out and remove cast iron Y fitting at main drain connection.
2) We shall supply and install a new 4" PVC Y and end cleanout.
3) We shall supply and install a new 3" Dandy cleanout on the 3" drain line.
4) We shall test all work for proper operation.

$558 for this, $20 in parts.... Is there hazard pay or something built in?

RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #2

In my experience there's often a "Working with Nasty Poo" hazard that can bump up the labour cost somewhat compared to the "Working with Krystal Kleer Mountain Spring Water - Guaranteed Drinkable by Unicorns and Fairies" jobs.

ChantryOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChantryOntario For This Useful Post:
plummen (11-04-2013), RyanD (11-04-2013), TarheelTerp (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #3

You need to account for their travel time to/from your house, time to get the parts, insurance, and other overhead.
plummen (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post

$558 for this, $20 in parts.... Is there hazard pay or something built in?
Sounds like a reasonable charge to me.

Windshield time
Insurances
Employee taxes
Fuel
Double your parts price
Profit & Overhead
Disposal costs
Etc. etc.

That's why this is a DIY site. If you want to try the job yourself we'll help you through it

Or you could always get more quotes- someone will have the # you're comfortable with
ben's plumbing (11-04-2013), oh'mike (11-04-2013), plummen (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Master Plumber

would you ask your doctor if there's a hazard when taking your xray at a cost of 900 dollars a pop, , most of the people that go cheap get cheap someones always gonna end up with the short end of the stick, and its usually the penny pinching homeowners, i don't know where your getting 20 dollars in parts . 558 seems better than reasonable you obviously never priced a 4 inch wye ??? if i gave you that price and you had to go and get more estimates id raise my price 500 dollar on the spot, sending a clear massage. these are the kind of customers we don't want. the ones that put a price on my trade and a value on my Job.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net

Last edited by Javiles; 11-04-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-05-2013), plummen (11-04-2013), VIPlumber (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Post a picture and Ill tell you why it costs that much to repair.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
would you ask your doctor if there's a hazard when taking your xray at a cost of 900 dollars a pop, , most of the people that go cheap get cheap someones always gonna end up with the short end of the stick, and its usually the penny pinching homeowners, i don't know where your getting 20 dollars in parts . 558 seems better than reasonable you obviously never priced a 4 inch why ??? if i gave you that price and you had to go and get more estimates id raise my price 500 dollar on the spot, sending a clear massage. these are the kind of customers we don't want. the ones that put a price on my trade and a value on my Job.
Thanks for your response but I have to respectfully disagree with your response. First, plumbers are not doctors so lets not compare the two. I can't take my own x-ray or perform my own surgery but I can fix my own plumbing. Second, as an educated consumer I absolutely have priced wye's:

4 in. x 4 in. x 3 in. PVC Wye: $9.25
3" cleanup plug: $1.49
3" Wye for clean-out: $5.86
PVC cement: $4.44
Total: $21.04

Add in another 20% for extra pvc: $25.25

So I was a little off, lets call it $30 for easy math and double it for profit.

$558 - $60 = $498.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it takes three hours, which for a professional is more than reasonable. That means he's asking for $166/hour.

Look, I understand they're running a business; They have to pay for insurance, they have to pay for travel and gas, they have to make a profit to feed their family but $166/hour. I don't think so. Don't forget I have to feed my family too, so when I overpay for something that means less money on my plate too.

As a homeowner willing to do my own repairs I have to balance the cost vs time; is it worth it for me to learn/perform the task or to farm it out and have someone else do it? In most cases it makes financial sense for me to do it myself but I'm lazy and don't want to. I'm also not an idiot and I don't want to get ripped off and overpay thus the question.

Do I want to roll up my sleeves and play in poo for an afternoon? , but if I'm getting paid $166/hour to do it I will. I think most people would.

Thanks for your responses.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
Post a picture and Ill tell you why it costs that much to repair.
He's replacing a cast iron wye with a pvc wye and adding a cleanout on the 3" line going into the wye.

4" to 3" wye with a cleanout
Adding a cleanout on the 3" going in. Not sure why but...

Nothing special about it, he said so himself.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
As a homeowner willing to do my own repairs I have to balance the cost vs time; is it worth it for me to learn/perform the task or to farm it out and have someone else do it?
Back that up a step.
As a homeowner willing to do your own repairs you first have to balance all the costs involved --if you already know how to do the task unassisted--.

The learning curve is another cost factor.

Quote:
Do I want to roll up my sleeves and play in poo for an afternoon?
I hope not.

So don't start with that as the expectation.
Done right... that won't be happening.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #10

You've had at least 3 plumbers respond to your question and all felt the price was resonable considering they haven't seen the site.

My response still stands- we'll walk you through it our maybe you should get more quotes.
ben's plumbing (11-05-2013), plummen (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #11
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Quote:
He's replacing a cast iron wye with a pvc wye and adding a cleanout on the 3" line going into the wye.

4" to 3" wye with a cleanout
Adding a cleanout on the 3" going in. Not sure why but...

Nothing special about it, he said so himself.
How about a picture so we can act like we're bidding on it to make it fair?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #12
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Quote:
Thanks for your response but I have to respectfully disagree with your response. First, plumbers are not doctors so lets not compare the two. I can't take my own x-ray or perform my own surgery but I can fix my own plumbing. Second, as an educated consumer I absolutely have priced wye's:

4 in. x 4 in. x 3 in. PVC Wye: $9.25
3" cleanup plug: $1.49
3" Wye for clean-out: $5.86
PVC cement: $4.44
Total: $21.04

Add in another 20% for extra pvc: $25.25

So I was a little off, lets call it $30 for easy math and double it for profit.

$558 - $60 = $498.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it takes three hours, which for a professional is more than reasonable. That means he's asking for $166/hour.

Look, I understand they're running a business; They have to pay for insurance, they have to pay for travel and gas, they have to make a profit to feed their family but $166/hour. I don't think so. Don't forget I have to feed my family too, so when I overpay for something that means less money on my plate too.

As a homeowner willing to do my own repairs I have to balance the cost vs time; is it worth it for me to learn/perform the task or to farm it out and have someone else do it? In most cases it makes financial sense for me to do it myself but I'm lazy and don't want to. I'm also not an idiot and I don't want to get ripped off and overpay thus the question.

Do I want to roll up my sleeves and play in poo for an afternoon? , but if I'm getting paid $166/hour to do it I will. I think most people would.

Thanks for your responses.
Are you paying for his time running to the supply house to get that $30.00 worth of parts or do they just apear out of thin air?
When your doing your job lets say you have to go get parts,does your boss pay you for going to get stuff or do you just punch out and do it on your own time?
So if you figure he might be stuck at a supply house for one hour getting your parts,and lets say he ties up another hour getting to your place.
Then he has an hour wrapped up dealing with getting the plumbing permit filed,then another hour waiting on an inspector to show up or he has to wait a day for an inspection.
So then he has to pull off another job or put it off to come to your job to wait on an inspector .
Now what do these little scenarios do to your $30.00 in materials and $166.00 hr in labor costs?
Or the little 3hr job as you call it turns into more of a problem than origionally thought (giligans island special as I like to call them) and he spends 5hrs on the job but he charges you the same price since he bid the job for that and stepped on his @#%$ in the process not seeing a possible problem?
And your right plumbers are not doctors,plumbers prevent more diseases by doing their job right than than most doctors will ever cure.

Last edited by plummen; 11-05-2013 at 01:00 AM.
plummen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #13

I just paid for my construction supervisor license renewal, as well as my home improvement registration fee. Neither of which could I renew without first attending continuing education classes in code compliance.
Then I had to pay for commercial registrations on my truck and trailers along with their higher insurance premiums.
Next week my liability insurance is due. Then I need a tune up on my $36,000.00 truck which I use to pull my $5000.00 trailer which holds about $10,000.00 worth of tools.
Then I have to drive to your house and coat my self in the junk that comes out of your septic lines. After that I have to listen to how you got ripped off because the parts only cost about $20.00.
I think he should tack on $50.00 just for griping!
Not to mention, this is a DIY site. Don't want to pay a pro, then do it yourself!

Last edited by Davejss; 11-05-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Davejss For This Useful Post:
Javiles (11-05-2013), plummen (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #14

A reasonable compromise might be to purchase the parts beforehand, thereby saving yourself a journeyman parts run @166 an hour. But be sure to have all of the correct parts or else you will have to deal with stressed out plumbers. Never recommended.
ChantryOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
Master Plumber

[QUOTE=RyanD;1262433]Thanks for your response but I have to respectfully disagree with your response. First, plumbers are not doctors so lets not compare the two. I can't take my own x-ray or perform my own surgery but I can fix my own plumbing. Second, as an educated consumer I absolutely have priced wye's:

You know what would be neat Mr educated consumer. your smart enough to do your own plumbing and plumbing is plumbing by your account i would like to see you at construction site lets say a hospital. give you a set of blue prints for the plumbing/ venting ? medical Vac / oxygen / gas / etc, have you pull all the calculations price the job then go in and do it. plumbers are obviously not doctors but what your implying is that doctors are smarter than plumbers which i would disagree its idiots like you that think that just because your a tradesman your beneath others and that gives you the right to challenge our labor cost. you have no concept of what it takes to get a master plumbers license what it takes to start a business pay insurance workman comp. and to operate it. one thing is being an educated consumer the other is being a cheap skate if you cant afford the repairs on your house sell it and rent. like others said this is a DIY site not the price is right.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote