A Word Of Caution Regarding WATTS Waste Overflow Kit From Home Depot And Lowes... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

A word of caution regarding WATTS waste overflow kit from Home Depot and Lowes...

In a pinch 3 years ago, I ran to home depot and bought a waste overflow kit from the shelf instead of going to my local Fergussons, like I should have. I paid $69 for a chrom kit. Fast forward to today, I'm changing the fixtures in the bath over to satin nickel.. I called the company to get the two finish pieces to the kit in nickel and was told they do not sell ANY replacement parts to their kits. At all. I called A local plumbing shop to enlist their help. They too called the distributor and the company and ultimately we found out that its true - NO replacement parts of ANY kind sold for these kits. Think twice before you burry one of these kits beneath a tub. Its the Watts brand, not watco - which is good.

Advertisement

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 296

A word of caution regarding WATTS waste overflow kit from Home Depot and Lowes...

Sounds similar to Schlage door knobs. Over the years I felt they were very high quality until I purchased one from Home Depot and a few months later it blew apart on me. I investigated and was shocked to find, all the internals were plastic (the bolts screw into plastic chases which hold the thing together). No wonder it blew apart, and all a thief has to do is give a Home Depot Schlage door knob a good pull and it'll blow apart of its plastic internals.

Going to my local supply store for a replacement I told them of my experience, and Schlage was supposed to be good but now they put plastic internals. He said, oh you must've gotten it at Home Depot. Schlage puts plastic internals for them only, go grab one of ours you'll see it's metal inside. I did, and sure enough theirs was metal inside and I bought it. I then compared the packaging between HD's and my local store and EVERYTHING was an exact match right down to the UPC... except HD's was all plastic inside.

Dell does it as well, I bought software and read it's compatible with a particular Phillips burner and I found it cheapest at Dell so I ordered it only to have the feature I wanted unavaible yet the software said it was compatible with the burner I got. Called up the software company, and after giving them my model # they said "Oh, that model is compatible with our software but yours is a special version made only for Dell and it's not the full product, the Dell version is lacking the components to be able to have that feature work (aka, one with stuff missing and that's why it was cheapest)". They recommended I go to my local store and not Dell to and purchase the same Phillips burner as at the local store it will be the full version not the stripped one from Dell. So now I don't buy Dell cause I can't tell if I'm getting the real thing or a "limited feature" version of the real deal with the same model # and everything.

Anyway, finding out today a lot of stuff no longer has replacement parts.

Advertisement

Last edited by Piedmont; 04-01-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

When will people learn you get what you pay for. HD and Lowes carries crap. What is there of quality will have prices way above normal stores.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #4

Lots of companies do the same thing
Ever wonder why the same electronics (like a DVD player) are almost the exactly the same at 2 differents stores - but the model number is different?

That's so if one store puts it on sale you can't get the other store to price match. Since its not the same model number

Have you bought a 1/2 gallon of ice cream lately?
I doubt it
The prices stayed the same but that 1/2 gallon is now 1.5 quarts
In some cases 1.75 quarts

The amount of product you buy has been decreasing while price increases. Its all in the marketing
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

that is good about the ice cream.. Been getting to fat on that stuff.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sears has been doing this for years with their tools (mostly power tools). This is why they are cheaper to buy. Sears contacts a manufacturer and gets a price for an item that they have "re-engineered" with plastic parts replacing metal ones. Change a Model number, and you cannot get that price anywhere else.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 25

I've had potential clients scream at my prices saying that they can get
"IT" cheaper at the HD or Lowes. I tell them yes you can, but it's inferior quality stuff. The box stores are cheap for the DIYers. They don't tell people that though, which is sad. They think they are getting a "deal" because it's cheaper.
HWConstruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

I agree about the box stores, hence the beginning of my post - "in a pinch"... I ordinarily would have gone to Fergis...

I just think its bizare considering this is an item with mechanical parts that you could potentially bury underneath a wall, a floor or a bathtub... It would be absolutely ridiculous to have to change the entire setup if you cracked the stopper control knob for instance. When I went to Ferguson's two days ago, the guy said that after 15 years in the industry he's never heard of a DWO that doesn't have replacement parts available...

Advertisement

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote