Woke Up And Water Heater Noise And Water Discharging Outside - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

woke up and water heater noise and water discharging outside

I just woke up, went to the restroom i kept hearing a noise, i assumed someone was washing clothes. As I went to the kitchen the noise was louder and i checked the laundry room. I'm not familiar with terms so excuse my description but the noise was continuous and sounded like air blowing inside the electric tank. I turned off the breaker, looked outside and water was pouring on the ground and with the breaker off the air sound from the tank continued and water kept flowing outside. I just released relief valve a month or so ago so i didn't think that would be a problem. But, i went ahead and released it, the loud air blowing sound stopped as well as the water outside.

Any thoughts on what may have caused the issue. I must admit, its pretty startling to wake up to something like that and a little panic because at first you wonder if this tank is going to burst while i'm releasing the valve burning me.

Currently hot and cold are working normal and the i don't hear any noise coming from electric hot water heater. The temperature the past 2 nights have been 24 and 27 Fahrenheit. The coldest nights of the year here so far. I don't know if that effects water heater.

The relief valve is probably a little over a year old, that a plumber installed.

A couple of quick questions the relief valve dial is currently at 6 o'clock. I left it a month or so ago at 12 o'clock. When you release does it matter? also when you release or have a bunch of water released outside like this morning are you supposed to run the water or anything before starting back up? Thanks

Advertisement

jigsaww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

Re: woke up and water heater noise and water discharging outside

If you are referring to the level on the pressure relief valve, that just spins around. It doesn't matter what direction its pointing.

The pressure relief is doing its job by releasing the built up pressure so your tank doesn't explode. Could be a couple of things going on. Have to find out why.

I know you said the relief valve was replaced a year ago, but how old is actual water heater and has it ever been serviced, flushing, etc.? What is the water temperature set at?

Advertisement

jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
Ghostmaker (01-09-2017)