Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
I can fix that!

Share |

Wirsbo (propex) fitting hard to find

I am about to re-plumb my house with PEX and decided to go with the Wirsbo, expander syle, system based on reviews. I bought the very expensive tool off ebay and now can't find the fittings anyware local that willingly sells to the public. What the hell? I'm considering selling my expander and just going with the crimp style that everyone carries.
kuhlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Don't know where you are looking, I have no trouble getting Wirsbo fittings from one of two different plumbing supply shops in my area. Both are happy to sell to me, even though I am clearly not a plumber by trade. I have purchased Wirsbo fittings from at least three different plumbing supply shops over the years, in no case was I ever refused. Curiously, I saw on a This Old House website that some states require that expander type fittings (Wirsbo) can only be used by plumbers, whereas crimp type fittings can be used (and apparently sold to) anyone. Go figure.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #3

I researched the heck out of this and was ready to do what the OP is doing with the expander but decided to go copper for my small project. One of the main reasons was because the big guys do not carry any pex supplies for the expander (I am in the Twin Cities). I thought the only place you could get this stuff was from pexsupply.com.

Daniel, are you saying you can get pex expander supplies from plumbing specialty stores? I have to plumb a bathroom in another house that is newer and plumbed in pex in the next year or so.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote