Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Wirsbo good Choice? Pex? Redoing home and might use PEX?

I am redoing a home built in 1949. It has galvanized plumbing for the supply. I am have thought about using the PEX system. It has a crawl space and it is fairly roomy for a crawl space. It only has 1 bathroom. I planned on using PEX for everything. From what I have been told Wirsbo (green case) is the best. What do you guys think?
Since there isn't a lot of plumbing to do I wasn't sure if the Wirsbo tool would be worth the investment but I would like the job to go a little easier. I am ok with sweating joints but I wouldn't like to do it in a crawl space since that isn't my specality. I thought about using Sharbite with Copper but I think that will be quite expensive too. Do you guys think it is worth the tool investment and would PEX be a good choice for the crawl space. This is in southern TN and it doesn't usually get too cold. Thanks.

twilightcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Wirsbo good Choice? Pex? Redoing home and might use PEX?

Personally I perfer copper but if you're going with PEX Wirsbo hasn't had any problems yet so it's a safe choice. If I was to do my home in PEX that's the system I'd go with.
As far as the tool goes if you're using PEX then you have to invest in a tool be it the expander or a crimper for the other styles. They are about $290 for the expander. You could buy one then sell it on eBay for about $200. I wouldn't buy a used one though since you don't know what it's been through. I would personally want to hold onto it in case I had to make any repairs or additions.
If you already have the tools to do copper though then maybe once you factor in the PEX tools the copper would be the same price? I would avoid using all Shark Bite fittings though.

Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote