Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2007, 08:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Winterizing sprinkler system?

Hi folks- New to the forum, and a new home owner. My new house has an automatic sprinkler system. I know once winter starts to get closer, I'll need to get the water out of the system to prevent cracked pipes. Anybody know how I go about doing this? Thanks in advance!

S.Vermilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75
Cool

If your system was installed properly there should be an automatic line drain at the low point - it's just a self-operating valve of sorts that closes under pressure, and then opens to drain into a buried gravel pit when pressure is off. The manifold and valves should also be below frost level for your area and again if installed correctly the supply line that goes to the manifold should also be below the frost line. Somewhere before the manifold there should be a shut-off, usually a 2" piece of PVC pipe sticking up that you stick a valve key into to turn off the water to the manifold and you should do that. So other than that and unplugging the timer you shouldn't have anything to do.

Of course, if it's not properly installed, or above ground, or some kind of strange thing like that then....

__________________________________________________ _____
News, Views, Commentary, Tips at the Construction Informer

DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:10 AM   #3

I disagree. It depends on where you live. The frost line in Minnesota is 42 inches. They don't go that deep with sprinkler systems. Eveyone here has their systems blown out by a lawn or irrigation service. They usually drive around in a big truck with a compressor tank on the back. Water is in your pipes and you need to get it out or your lines will freeze and explode.

I have my own compressor and it's a large one so it can handle my system...but just barely.
wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #4

Cool

Yes! Good point wease. And I should have added - "You always have to be aware of local practices."
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Here in NY I've never heard of a self draining system. You have to call a professional and have the system blown. It's not a DIY job unless you own a very large compressor, and the cost of renting a compressor will be about the same or more then paying someone.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Ok- Thanks for the replies. I had heard someone mention that the lines needed to be "blown out", but I didn't understand what they were talking about. I'll see about having the lines purged then. Thanks again. -Steve

S.Vermilya is offline   Reply With Quote