Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Winterizing issue

Hi,

I attempted to winterize my cabin last week, but was unable to drain down the water heater. I opened the drain valve all the way, but couldn't get as much as a drop out of the thing. It's about 15 years old, so I'm figuring its plugged from sediment. I want to kill the heat to the place because I have no insulation in the walls and very little in the ceiling. Can I leave the water heater full and keep the burner on without causing damage? The rest of the plumbing system is already drained down with RV antifreeze in the traps.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,444

Winterizing issue

Did you open a tap to let water into the tank at the same time you opened the drain?

joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Winterizing issue

put a bucket under the relief and blow off the heaters standing water pressure then open the drain off and take a piece of electrical wire and snake it up the valve...the weight of the water left in the tank might seem like pressure...and you might get a little wet when it starts to drain pull the wire.another trick .......if you still have house cold water run a hose from an outside spiget and fill(quick rush of water) the tank from the drain off whatever is blocking it will blow in the tank.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Winterizing issue

I did open both hot and cold water taps after valving off the water at the service - no luck.

I'll try fishing the wire and see if I can pop loose the plugged sediment.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Winterizing issue

If there's a floor drain close by and you dont mind the floor getting a wet you can always remove the drain valve. Of course, that's dicey if you dont want to get wet.

If you do get it drained down I'd replace that drain valve with a nipple, ball valve and a maleXhose adapter. Works well and I've never had one get plugged up with gook.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 516

Winterizing issue

I agree with taking off that stupid style of drain,,,real 1/4 turn valve does MUCH better. That will give you MUCH bigger hole to rake an poke thru. Leaving it on all winter is NOT going to work,cause it will dry out and its toast anyway. IF its electric,,you can help by taking out the lower element

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote