Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #1

Share |

Winterize house

I have an air compressor and need derailed advice on house to clear the pipes. Open all faucets etc? Thanks very much

Jpscherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #2

Winterize house

The last time I winterized a home, I did not use an air compressor. This is what I did to winterize the water system.
1) Shut off the water service/well pump and drain the pressure tank (if applicable.)
2) Shut off water supply to hot water heater and drain it. (gas fired water heater)
2) Open all faucets at the lowest point in the plumbing system.
3) Working systematically to the highest point in the plumbing system, open all faucets, flush toilets, etc..Don't forget the laundry connections, ice makers, etc..., and leave everything open as you go.
4) Pour approximately 1 cup of anti freeze into each drain that has a trap. This should displace the left over water, and also maintain the barrier between sewer gasses and living space.

My home was heated with a gas fired, forced air furnace, so I can't describe how to winterize a hot water boiler. And while using compressed air might be a better route to go, all I can say is that the steps described above allowed me to leave my cold climate home and spend seven months on the other side of the country without incident.

It's been several years since I did this, but I don't think I left anything out. Best of luck!

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #3

Winterize house

Thanks very much. I have low spots in the pipes under the crawl space. Each year the spring return greets us with a broken pipe or two. Was thinking (hoping) the air commpressor would force air out where gravity alone cant do the job. Just not sure how to go about this process. Was thinking of closing all faucets and opening lowest drain. Hooking up compressor to hose bib to force water through system to the lowest point

Last edited by Jpscherer; 09-21-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #4

Winterize house

Buy a few gallons of RV antifreeze , drain your entire house system, water heater, ice maker, toilet tanks and bowls, pour Antifreeze into 5 gallon bucket hook to pump and water spigot, close all faucets Open one spigot at a time while someone starts and stops pump as soon as you see pink coming out spigot tell pump person stop pump. Do this till all spigots are pink then put some in toilet bowl and tank, traps should be OK due to spigots running pink. Don't use compressed air you will never blow out all the water especially in the low spots. Yea it will cost you a few bucks for antifreeze but it's worth it. You might have to bypass the hot water system with a connection to the cold. It sounds like a lot but once you do it you'll have it forever. It's worth it to save your most expensive purchase.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #5

Winterize house

i am on a well. while i think i can by pass the hot water heater, not sure if i can by pass the well pressure tank in the house. if not, will need significant gallons of the rv antifreeze to fill the pipes.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #6

Winterize house

Well, as the winter helps you to identify the low spots, you could always install drain cocks at those locations..

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winterize house