Will This Work And Remain Watertight? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Will this work and remain watertight?

I'm replacing a water filtration system for one of my customers and will be tapping directly off of the single outlet cold water valve underneath the sink with a small 3/8"F-3/8"M-3/8"M compression adapter. But, I have to remove the existing - and leaking - needle saddle valve that the last tech installed on the 1/2" copper cold water tubing immediately behind the valve's compression nut. Naturally, there was just enough room - approximately 5/8" - to fit this saddle valve in-between the nut and the wall. Not enough of a safety margin for me to try and solder it. So, there's a nifty little puncture hole in the top of the copper tubing that is just barely accessible. I still don't know what the tech was thinking when he or she chose to do this install.

Rather than a blob of plumber's epoxy, I'm thinking of taking a very short length of reinforced neoprene hose, slitting it lengthwise, positioning it over the hole in the copper tubing and securing it with a screw-type hose clamp positioned over the puncture hole.

There's just enough room between the nut and the wall to fit this fix in.

Will it work? Any better suggestions?

Advertisement

End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Union HVAC Tech.

Rewards Points: 500

It will last until it leaks, which could be next month a year from now there is no telling. Why exactly don't you want to solder on a new valve and fix it right the first and last time???

Advertisement

bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

The section of pipe needs to be removed and replaced, that is the only correct way to do it. It may require opening walls or removing cabinets but any shortcut is going to cause a leak, it's just a matter of how long. If you can't properly repair it I'd hire a plumber and have him throw in a tee to have two angle valves the compression tee.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeB View Post
It will last until it leaks, which could be next month a year from now there is no telling. Why exactly don't you want to solder on a new valve and fix it right the first and last time???
To have enough room to get tools or a torch in there, the sink itself would have to be removed and it's a deep undermount sandwiched in-between a granite countertop and from what I can tell, some particleboard underlayment. No clean or easy way to remove it.

This saddle valve has definitely been there a while, probably before the new countertops were installed a few years ago. There's barely enough room between the wall and the sink basin to turn a wrench one position on the supply line compression nut at the water valve. It's tight to say the least. I can get a screwdriver and one hand in there but that's about all.

The customer does not want to rip things out at this point. I've explained to them that my idea is a stop-gap measure in lieu of a more permanent and costly repair and they seem fine with that. The wife is actually content to leave her Tupperware container under it and just empty it once a week. Her husband wants something a little more effective.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:17 PM   #5

Only problem with doing a half hearted fix is that if their basement floods as a result you are liable. Personally I'd tell them they need to have it repaired correctly, if they decline refuse to touch it and have them sign something saying you pointed it out and they declined to have it repaired. Let someone else assume the liability.
What is on the backside of the wall? If you can open the wall on the backside this can be easially fixed.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #6

Another idea. Un-sweat the valve then slide a slip coupling over the hole and solder it in place.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
Union HVAC Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
Another idea. Un-sweat the valve then slide a slip coupling over the hole and solder it in place.

That's more along the lines of a repair in my mind. There is always a way to do the right thing rather than try and avoid it.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Also, sometimes just a dab of silflos will close the hole. I've done that a few times and it has worked for me.

Advertisement

cjett is offline   Reply With Quote