DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Wider tub for remodel (

cityman 10-28-2006 12:23 PM

Wider tub for remodel
1 Attachment(s)
I am putting in a new tub and have already bought the desired tub, but discovered that the drain is 2 inches further from the wall than the original tub (move to right in picture). As you can see in the picture I will have to cut out a section of the joist and add a joist support to make room for the new drain.

My question, however, is what to do with the water supply lines. Can those be diverted without an extensive plumbing alteration and still be under code? Do they have to run vertical until the split?

Thanks for any feedback!

Ron The Plumber 10-28-2006 12:32 PM

Yes you can, they can run anyway fit to make the connections.

Double A 10-29-2006 10:24 AM

Don't just go cutting that joist any ol way you think you need to. Get a compenent framing carpenter in there to take a look at what you have first and make the changes.

That joist supports the floor the tub sits on. You're adding a larger tub, with more capacity. Water weighs about 8.33 lbs/gallon. That means more load on that joist than before.

Ron The Plumber 10-29-2006 10:26 AM

In reality you don't have to cut that joist at all, just off set the overflow on a 45 to bring it back to the same side the original one sits on. Of coure you will need to use a lift and turn or a tip-toe waste and overflow assembly for it to work.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1