Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

Share |

Why won't a big plumber's snake work?

We just moved into a 1965 house that has sat vacant for 2 years. After being there a week, the toilet started backing up into the tub. We have already tried the typical stuff; plunger, small store bought snake and what not. Now we have removed the toilet and rented a big 100 foot snake. The snake goes in about 2-3 feet and stops. The plumbing pipes are all copper, including the big toilet drain pipe. We have crawled under the house to check out the lines. The lines appear to be straight after the initial first bend. We have worked the snake pretty viciously at the point where it stops and it won't go any further. Does anyone know what could be causing such a blockage? The backed up water will eventually drain, but it takes forever. I'm just looking for any other options before we call the pros, which I'm sure will be costly. From other information I have read, it sounds like we should definately have a camera run down the pipes. Is there anything else we could try? Plus we can't find a clearout anywhere. HELP!!

hoppyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Because you do not know how to use it. You need to hire a real plumber if there is a bad leak. Plus the motorized augers can maim or even kill the person using them if they do not know what they are doing.

If it was a foreclosure, it is possible that the previous homeowner could have poured concrete mix down the pipes also.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

If it was a foreclosure, it is possible that the previous homeowner could have poured concrete mix down the pipes also.
My thoughts, exactly!
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #4

There is no leak. It is just seems to be mostly blocked or clogged. Cement down the drain?? People do that? What jerks!!

We have had 2 different people work with the snake. One of them has had plenty of experience with using such pieces of machinery. I myself, would not touch the thing because you are right, I don't know how to use it correctly and would probably hurt myself.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #5

Well, it's not a mystery

Go to the basement

Cut the pipe section open where it's stopping

Inspect the cut section to find why it's blocked

Replace the cut section after finding said blockage

There is a reason Plumbing is a Skilled Trade

Why we can charge $100.00 an hour for the work
davidblackwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davidblackwoods For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-02-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (07-02-2013), oh'mike (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #6

There is no basement, just the crawl space. I'm sure your suggestion would work from the crawl space just the same. Niether of us have any experience with cutting pipes or replacing the cut sections. With all the pipes being copper, what is the best type of pipe to use for the replacement piece? And what other type of tools and/or equipment would we need to buy to tackle this ourselves? We should probably just take it up the drain pipe and pay for a plumber.

I totally understand that plumbing is a skilled trade. I am thankful that those of you skilled in that trade are sharing your thoughts and ideas about my issue. I too am trained in a skilled trade, it's just not plumbing.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhere View Post
There is no leak. It is just seems to be mostly blocked or clogged. Cement down the drain?? People do that? What jerks!!

We have had 2 different people work with the snake. One of them has had plenty of experience with using such pieces of machinery. I myself, would not touch the thing because you are right, I don't know how to use it correctly and would probably hurt myself.
You would be surprised what people do to places that they live in, before they leave during a foreclosure. Some are decent and just pack up and leave, others make the place so bad, that it may as well be torn down with a shovel and track hoe and a new structure put in its place.

The ground the structure sits on is worth more than the structures nine times out of ten.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
Master Plumber

call a professional plumber within an hour you'll know how bad your problem is just dont call roto rooter because if you dont have a serious problem you will after they leave.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (07-04-2013), COLDIRON (07-03-2013), gregzoll (07-02-2013), hoppyhere (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
DIY staff

Copper can be cut and replaced with PVC --the attachment made with rubber Fernco fittings.

Cut out a section of pipe--add a Y fitting with a screw in cap --use this as a clean out.
The snake often chews up the threaded plastic--so do your rodding before you glue in the threaded fitting--
hoppyhere (07-04-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #10

Listen. Put the snake in again

Jog the forward and reverse. This will flick and flop the tip. Push at the same time.

Please do call a plumber. It will save you so much in the way of headaches
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidblackwoods For This Useful Post:
hoppyhere (07-04-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #11

And I have given answers to every question.

Correct I might add.

Plumbing is very stressful for people

It is one of the most difficult problems in the home to fix.

All the answers I give are from years and years of service experience. Do say that I am sarcastic might be true but I do follow up with the right answer. I won't post something that is not true.

I'm sorry if I've offended you but lighten up.

Atleast I'm helping out. Most pros can't bother with helping a homeowner. and my humour may not be welcomed but my answers should.

I am a ticketed plumber and I have helped users here with there problems researching there problems for them.

All that I do on my own time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidblackwoods For This Useful Post:
hoppyhere (07-04-2013), lk00331 (08-01-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #12

If I have offended any Home Owner I will post to the straight and narrow.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

jproffer, there are just some things you leave to the pros to handle.

What you have basically stated is that tere is no longer a need for professionals, so all of those in the trades no longer need to wake up to go to jobs, since homeowners are best to do everything the trades do now.

This is why we are in the mess we are now, that those in the trades cannot find work, because every Joe & Suzi homemaker wants to do stuff that you have to be licensed to do in the first place.

There are just times when the job is beyond a person's ability and this is one of them that they need to call in a licensed pro that can knock it out in less time then they have spent with it already.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #14

Thread has been cleaned up guys. No more OK?

Remember--

Users shall treat each other with respect at all times on DIYChatroom.com. Name calling, personal attacks, or other inappropriate behavior will not be allowed and may cause your account to be banned.
ben's plumbing (07-04-2013), hoppyhere (07-04-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #15

Nevermind

Last edited by jproffer; 07-03-2013 at 01:35 PM.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jproffer For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (07-03-2013), TheEplumber (07-03-2013)