Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,540

Why plumbing is a science

Mankind as a whole has been doing plumbing since the days of the roman empire. Rome had public baths and aquaducts to carry water. They also used lead pipe. Thats where plumbers got there name. plumbum in Latin

The codes for plumbing very from location to location and just like any code they are in constant change as materials change and knowledge changes on the subject.

Most people only know about the drain and the water. But the key to real good drainage is proper venting. Think back to when you were a child and put the straw in your milk and blocked the top of the straw. Remember how that milk stayed in the straw when you lifted it out of the glass? Remember the mess you made when you lifted your finger off the straw? That is what vents do they add air into you plumbing system. But they even do more.

If you look under your sink you will find a trap what it has is a water seal that prevents sewer gas from coming out your sink. Proper vents also help maintain that water seal. When things are not vented correctly it is possible when you flush a toilet it will cause your water seal to rock in the trap. If enough rocking occurs before you run water in that sink your water seal will lower in the trap to the point of allowing sewer gas into the house.

Sewer gas is bad.

Plumbing codes tell us what size pipe is necessary for drainage. The codes also protect us from contaminating our drinking water. Good plumbing is worth it's weight in gold. So please pay attention when plumbers try to help you out. We are trying to make sure your job is done correctly and will work for many years to come..

You may ask why do we have codes? Codes are what mankind has learned from past mistakes. They help protect the general public from possible harm. They are not your enemy they are your friend...

Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
Javiles (08-21-2013), jmon (08-13-2013), Peppe1019 (08-21-2013), plumberinlaw (08-15-2013), raylo32 (08-22-2013), TheEplumber (08-13-2013), VIPlumber (08-22-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 730

Plumbing is taken for granted these days. My mom grew up in S. Indiana with a hand pump and out house. No electric either for awhile.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Most people only know about the drain and the water. But the key to real good drainage is proper venting. Think back to when you were a child and put the straw in your milk and blocked the top of the straw. Remember how that milk stayed in the straw when you lifted it out of the glass? Remember the mess you made when you lifted your finger off the straw? That is what vents do they add air into you plumbing system. But they even do more.
Nice illustration.
I tell people about a gas can. They'll gurgle out gas until you pop the little cap on top
Old 08-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 668

The true plumber is a dieing breed, now a days everyone's a plumber i remember when the plumbing supplies would not sell to anyone that was not in the trade, now the home depots and the box stores have made everyone a plumber. before you got your ticket you had to pay your dues man, my first job as an apprentice was carrying 10 foot sections of cast iron and hang them as i was told to. nothing like wiping your face clean after a day of lead and oakum, i see it every day guys in the field doing things that are beyond forget the code common sense.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,540

My back is paying for that cast iron humping back in the day.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
My back is paying for that cast iron humping back in the day.
Mine too, I bent down to pick up a toilet seat off the floor yesterday and couldn't straighten back up!
So i went to my knees and installed the seat, then pushed myself back up from the toilet

My first job as an apprentice was distributing cast iron fittings and pipe for an 18 story motel. I never saw so many pallet baskets of fittings, and it was several weeks before I learned how to use my tork wrench
Old 08-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,498

Oh, the fond memories.....double header at grannies.....no issues with vent pipes or p-traps.

Want to take a bath? Get out the tin tube...fill with hot water...takes awhile...boil a gal...after you carried it in from the well...

Of course, being the young one....you got to take a bath last....it was better to walk out to the pond and take a bath there...

No plumbing problems in those days...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 544

Great stories and examples, guys. Not sure I like the thought of being the last one in a dirty tub of bath water but those were different times.

And at least some of us DIYs appreciate all your experience and knowledge. Venting has always been a bit of a mystery to me... not why, since I am an engineer, but exactly how and where and what counts as a vent. Most of my plumbing is on the water supply side which except for the pressure is easier to figure out and work with. Also get to play with torches. :-)

BTW, even though I work in an office now my back still remembers plenty of days repeatedly humping several sheets of sheet rock at a time up several flights of stairs back in my youth. My back is certainly older than most of the rest of me.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

The pipe cracked in my basement what a man water meter goes its under floor level how to fix it
smitty346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 336

Hot on the left, cold on the right, crap flows downhill. That's about it. Oh yeah, if there is a structural framing member where you want to put a pipe just destroy it with a sawazall!

Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote