Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #1

Share |

Why are PEX Crimping Tools So Damn Expensive?

My God. I don't want to buy the factory that built the crimping tool, just the tool?

Am I being unreasonable here? Is this some sort of monetary barrier put up by the industry to discourage DIY'ers from going PEX?

FirstAndTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #2

That's a few hours labor cost for never hiring a plumber again!!! Lol it's well worth it

Alcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #3

Supply and demand.
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Yeah I always wondered this too. It's not really a complex tool, and I'm sure it cost about $5 to make considering it's probably made in China by kids being paid 3c per hour.

I'm sure someone who is decent at machining could make one for a fraction of the price if given the proper dimensions.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #5

They got you where they want you. An easy to use system, but you need a specialty tool.

Kind of like buying those specially priced printers. Real neat until you drop $30.00 for a new ink cartridge
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #6

Capitalism. They can charge what they want. No reason for them to lower the price, as long as they're selling
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #7

Check a local pawnshop they should have one for a lot less
Alcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #8

If you think the crimping tools are expensive, you better not look at the expander tool.
HairClog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
Seasoned DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAndTen View Post
My God. I don't want to buy the factory that built the crimping tool, just the tool?

Am I being unreasonable here? Is this some sort of monetary barrier put up by the industry to discourage DIY'ers from going PEX?
Sports equipment, apparels, watches, consumer electronics and all sorts of other things have so called "MAPP", a vertical price fixing imposed by manufacturer to protect the value of the brand. Basically retailers can't advertise the products below the minimum advertised price policy set point.

Perhaps tool manufacturers do the same. This isn't anything about protecting the trade. It's common among many products.

Also, if the tool uses something that is patented, the patent holder can withhold anyone else from making it or allow someone to make them, but licensing must be paid which raises the cost.

Good tools are usually expensive and not every tool is available at Harbor Freight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Yeah I always wondered this too. It's not really a complex tool, and I'm sure it cost about $5 to make considering it's probably made in China by kids being paid 3c per hour.

I'm sure someone who is decent at machining could make one for a fraction of the price if given the proper dimensions.
If the tools are patented, that is actually illegal. The shop is subject to civil litigation by the patent holder.
HVAC_NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC_NW View Post
Good tools are usually expensive and not every tool is available at Harbor Freight.
couldn't have said it better myself
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC_NW View Post

If the tools are patented, that is actually illegal. The shop is subject to civil litigation by the patent holder.

Yeah forgot about that... another broken legal system. imo anyone should have the right to make what they want, how they want. Patents, copyright and all that junk simply hinder fair competition and creativity... but that's a whole other debate, let's not go there.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
Seasoned DIYer

I've never done PEX crimping, but from what I understand, they need to be properly calibrated or risk unreliable connection. If you're a DIYer, go rent the tool, or use Sharkbite fittings.

There are certain things you just can't do with cheap tools. You can replace the tie rods on your car, then install brand new tires. Tools to do proper alignment or having it done is too costly. You could skip it and it'll work for the time being, but you'll pay for it later when the tires are bald in 1,500 miles.

You can probably hack crimping to make it work and not leak at the time, but you'll probably pay for it in water damage later on

HVAC_NW is offline   Reply With Quote