Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2006, 02:25 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Why no water hours after friend pulled our pump?

Our neighbor, who is a really great plumber, stopped over to take a look at a possible leak while we were not home. Apparently we thought he fixed everything. From what my dad says he, "Pulled the pump." We have a well, but I'm not sure exactly what that phrase means. I assume someone on here does. But anyways, our water was very dirty for a while after turning on faucets and flushing the toilet several times (the toilet flushed and filled quickly / the faucets had little pressure at all). Then, about an hour or so later, we still went from very little water pressure, to now - none at all. We now have no running water, but when we flush our toilet the water is much cleaner.

However, it apparently is taking a very long time to build up pressure so that we are able to flush the toilet again. Our neighbor is of a religion where he does not work on Sundays. So we now cannot ask him for help until Monday evening when he's available. Does anyone have a quick solution. Like ohh say, maybe our neighbor just shut off the water valve, or we're missing a quick fix here? Is this normal, or is this just a really big problem. We don't know for how long we're not going to be able to recieve water now. If maybe it just takes 24-48 hours to build up full pressure again. Anyone who could give any suggestions, your help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

sheriffherself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:08 AM   #2
registered

First plumbers don't mess with pumps in wells. The guys who do that are guys who drill wells. But i could be wrong.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:12 AM   #3

All I know is he pulled the pump. I know he is extremely certified and has a huge plumbing business. He does the plumbing for many of the big new developments going up in our area. So I'm sure he knows what he's doing. But still...we have no water. So again, if anyone knows anything. Please let me know. Soon! My family is starting to go bonkers, and it's only 5:15 in the morning! :-P
Old 11-19-2006, 05:31 AM   #4

Apparently, from what my father is saying, my neighbor pulled a line that has a foot valve on the end of it, that opens and closes to prevent dirt and gravel build up. My father is saying it might be when he replaced the foot valve, the new foot valve may be faulty. Needless to say, our family is stocking up on water until Monday. If anyone has any quick fix (or not so quick fix) suggestions - again I say - please let me know! Thanks!
Old 11-19-2006, 07:10 AM   #5

The foot valve is merely a check valve that keeps the line coming up from the well source from draining and having to re-prime the pump. If you have water filling the toilet, I would guess that there is a filter in the line that is now clogged with dirt and debris. Check this first. Most wells with softeners installed have a filter after (or before) the softener. Also remove the aerators on the sink faucets. Then turn on the water and see if you have better pressure. Aerators have very fine screens and they get clogged easily. Just unscrew the aerator from the end of the faucet spout and check.