Why Is My Main Water Valve Not Turning - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Why is my main water valve not turning

Not sure why, but Sunday morning, we had some water leak under kitchen sink. Turned out, 2 of 3 valves connecting to water pipes were leaking where turning knob is located.

So, I did test all 3 valves and turned off main valves and replaced 2 problem valves.

However, this morning, under sink was flooded because 3rd valve had leak and it was pretty bad situation.

So, I had to turn off main water valve located in garage to stop leaking and replaced 3rd valve.

But problem is, the main water valve is not turning and can't test or use water.

I think it has something to do with water pressure, but not sure if we need to call professional or able to repair this problem by ourself.

Can anyone give me advise?

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

Andee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

Not heard of that, I'd call your local water utility and have them check it, after all it is their meter

Advertisement

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Was the valve that you turned off a Gate valve?
Is it after the meter?
Is there any water in the rest of the house?
Some times closing a Gate valve is a one way trip in that you can close it but it will never open again.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I don't know whether it's gate valve, but I don't think I turned off the gate valve. The valve, I turned off is located inside and corner of our garage. I did notice, we have 2 valves there. One with knob and one without.

Last Friday, I had to turn off the this valve because I turned off one of the bathroom toilet valve to replace flapper. But when I turn on the valve again, valve was leaking. So, I had to turn off this main water line to house to replace toilet leaking valve.

Then on Sunday, I had to turn off main water valve again because of leakage under kitchen sink.

I went over to Home depot to see if I can replce some part to repair this issue tonight. The gentleman working in plumbing dept at Home Depot told me, I probably need to replace valve section of main water way because some kind of air problem may have caused when I turned off this valve.

Does this sounds about right on our problem?

I guess, I have no choice but just call plumber to replace part in main water valve...

Last edited by Andee77; 02-12-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Andee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #5
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

An air lock in the water line? really...?

If there is a valve with a wheel like handle on it that is a gate valve and the plunger for a gate can stay at the top or bottom of the screw shaft that is part of the gate valve.
If it is the gate valve that has gone bad then it would be best to have a plumber deal with it.

Nothing personal but the folks at home depot did not even know what a check valve was that I had in my hand awhile back.... one might get lucky now and then but for the most part they really have no clue as to what is going on.

If a valve is closed and it stops the water but when one turns it to be back on and there is no water then there is a break down with that valve and it needs replacing.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akpsdvan For This Useful Post:
del schisler (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

pictures of the valve will help----
Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 718

My wife could probably give you better plumbing advise than the Dorks at Home depot, post a picture, most likely a broken drive screw on the gate valve , if that's the case you'll need to replace the valve

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
del schisler (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,048

The main water shutoff is so seldom used in most homes that sediment or rust often accumulates in it. Then when you finally need to use it, it is so stuck that it breaks when you try to use it.

If the first main shutoff valve has failed, you need to coordinate with the water company to shut off the water and get the valve fixed.

Advertisement