DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Why does my Kitchen Sink Smell? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/why-does-my-kitchen-sink-smell-119977/)

Syz 10-12-2011 10:54 PM

Why does my Kitchen Sink Smell?
 
Hello to everyone,

This is my first post and I'll try to make it a good one.

So my Double kitchen sink often smells pretty bad like sewer waste (well not that bad but bad enough that you can smell it across the kitchen).

We have moved into this house just over 2 years ago and it is a fairly new construction home. Less than 6 years old. About 6-9 months ago we noticed a bad smell coming from the double kitchen sink. My first thought was that there is food waste going down the drain and not flowing all the way down the pipe and rotting and smelling. I went out and purchased a food insinkerator from Costco. Installed it myself no problem. I thought this would help as it would grind down all the food waste and 'swim' down the pipe with the water.

However after about 3-4 months of having this installed the bad stinky smell has not gone away. I have even poured pipe clearing solution down the drain before I installed the insinerator.

The current set up is like this.

Left sink has the insinkerator install underneath it, short pipe connects the drain from the right sided sink. This than flowes into a P-Trap which then takes the frow away further to the right. At this point a 90 takes the drains straight down to the basement. In the ceiling of the basement (in the joists of the above flooring) this drain pipe take another 90 toward the back of the house (about 12 feet in length) before another 90 takes this downwords to the main 4 inch pipe which goes into the ground).
In total there are about 6 90's in the basement alone.

Can someone please 'shine some light' on this for me.

let me know if you need more info if i have not explain the set up well enought.

I do have an option to redo the piping in the basement and cut down the 12 foot run in about half toward another direction and into a different 4 inch take away pipe.

thanks in advance

TheEplumber 10-13-2011 12:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You don't mention anything about a vent for the trap and it sounds like you're siphoning the trap dry. This allows sewer gas/smell to enter your home through the sink. Install a AAV - also known as a Studor vent

Mark Potter 10-13-2011 05:50 AM

Your only smelling it in kitchen right
And did you take the trap out looked inside the pipe going into the wall?

Syz 10-18-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber (Post 747761)
You don't mention anything about a vent for the trap and it sounds like you're siphoning the trap dry. This allows sewer gas/smell to enter your home through the sink. Install a AAV - also known as a Studor vent


I dont have a vent under the sink. (i would think there never was one here even from the builder).

I dont mind installing one but is the smell not just going to escape throught this vent AND will the soapy bubbles not come up thought here when doing dishes (this already happens with the right side sink)

There is a vent going from the basement to the roof of the house. This would probably be the vent for the entire plumbing system in the house.

TheEplumber 10-18-2011 06:38 PM

After the sink trap, does the drain go into the back of the cabinet or straight down through the cabinet base? The answer to this should tell us if you have a vent or not. If it goes straight down then you have a s-trap. These are prone to siphon dry which allows sewer gas into the room.

No, a AAV will not allow water or suds to escape.(when working properly)

Syz 10-18-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber (Post 751610)
After the sink trap, does the drain go into the back of the cabinet or straight down through the cabinet base? The answer to this should tell us if you have a vent or not. If it goes straight down then you have a s-trap. These are prone to siphon dry which allows sewer gas into the room.

No, a AAV will not allow water or suds to escape.(when working properly)

I will take a look in a minute, i will actually try take a picture

Syz 10-18-2011 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a picture of my 'undersink'

i took a look into where the pipe goes towards the right side (empty space between the sink cabiner and diswasher) and i could not see a vent in there

TheEplumber 10-18-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syz (Post 751691)
here is a picture of my 'undersink'

i took a look into where the pipe goes towards the right side (empty space between the sink cabiner and diswasher) and i could not see a vent in there

Even though you can't see it, I'm thinking you have a vent because of the way your sink is piped and the age of your house. That blows up my theory on a siphoned trap. I'm out of ideas.

hammerlane 10-19-2011 05:43 AM

I know it's unrelated to your smell problem but put an outlet cover over that outlet under the sink base. And it looks as though there is no cable clamp securing the Romex to the box.

danpik 10-19-2011 07:58 PM

Can you see thru the hole in the cabinet and tell if there is an elbow or a "T" there. If there is a "T" then I would think you have a vent, if not then there is most likely no vent. The smell seems likely that the trap is not holding water. Easy check is to pull the trap apart when you smell the odor and check if there is water enough to prevent the gasses from cming up the pipe. Another posibility is that the vent may be clogged. This would act the same as having no trap. Do you hear any glugging when water is draining from this sink or any others in the house?

Syz 10-30-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerlane (Post 751896)
I know it's unrelated to your smell problem but put an outlet cover over that outlet under the sink base. And it looks as though there is no cable clamp securing the Romex to the box.

this was just a temporary set up. will be redoing the kitchen shortly and this will get wired up the 'proper' way.


Quote:

Originally Posted by danpik (Post 752375)
Can you see thru the hole in the cabinet and tell if there is an elbow or a "T" there. If there is a "T" then I would think you have a vent, if not then there is most likely no vent. The smell seems likely that the trap is not holding water. Easy check is to pull the trap apart when you smell the odor and check if there is water enough to prevent the gasses from cming up the pipe. Another posibility is that the vent may be clogged. This would act the same as having no trap. Do you hear any glugging when water is draining from this sink or any others in the house?

I cannot see inside the cabinet there without making more holes.

However I did take a look in the attic and there is a vent pipe coming up from the kitchen which joins the rest of the vent pipes and out onto the roof of the house. So I DO have a vent for this kitchen drain.

And to add to this problem. The dishwasher next to the next also stinks really bad when opened.

Would putting a "taller" or "loonger" trap maybe solve the issues. This way there is more pipe for the water to sit and and prevent the gases from coming up. Or would this cause more damage and prevent the water from draining away. ???


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved