Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #1

Share |

Whole house water filter questions...

I am planning on installing a whole house water filter. My water has a lot of mineral deposits in it. It is ruining all of our dishes and it is a real pain to have to clean sinks, shower, etc. every time you use them. Do these filters work for removing minerals like that? Any recommendations? I bought a middle of the line GE, should I put up the extra cash or will any of them work?

Installation questions - Can I install it in a horizontal position instead of upright? I know it will make a little mess when I change the filter, but it would be a lot more convenient if I could install it where the house supply line is vertical rather than horizontal. Also should I install it before or after my water softener?

epeterson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #2

[quote=epeterson777;150828]My water has a lot of mineral deposits in it. It is ruining all of our dishes and it is a real pain to have to clean sinks, shower, etc. every time you use them.

I know that Home Depot will do a free water anaylsis, at least they do here in Ohio. They have a display at the store, get a bottle and fill with water for the sample, drop it off and they let you know the results. Yes they want to sell you their brand but you can decline and look for prices elsewhere if you want. I don't know of any reputable company that won't test for free. Be ready for some pressure salesmen though.

Once you know for certain what you need to filter out they will recommend the correct system as well as address any installation questions.

Personally, I'd run an elbow to horizonal, install the filter assembly and then return back up and over to reconnect to the supply line. You'll thank yourself later. I can't give you the definative answer but I have always run the filter before the softener. Just made more sence to me. Either way the first "system" will trap the most minerals. It is less expensive to change the filter, again, in my experience given the stuff that's in the water in my area. Not the RULE, just depends on your local.

So there's my 2

Old 10-10-2008, 06:31 AM   #3

A filter can be placed in any position. As you can predict, some positions will cause spills during changing. Releave pressure before removing the housing.

Most filters may not remove the 'minerals' as they are normally dissolved in water but will accumulate particles over time. Depending on your water condition, the filter can last from a year to just weeks or even days before maintenance is required.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
Andy CWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #4

Filters will not filter out dissolved minerals. It is a waste of time and money.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #5

Prefilters will nonetheless, be very effective at removing elements that can accumulate in the softener and foul resins. Observing prefilters on well water I can clearly see that they work very well in many applications.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
Old 10-10-2008, 11:47 PM   #6
Water quality'n pump guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy CWS View Post
Prefilters will nonetheless, be very effective at removing elements that can accumulate in the softener and foul resins. Observing prefilters on well water I can clearly see that they work very well in many applications.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
IMO and from 21 years experience in treating well water and servicing softeners, the use of disposable cartridge filters ahead of a softener, except for Kinetico softeners, is not a good thing. Cartridges tends to not be replaced before they reduce the flow to the softener during backwash when the "elements" that would accumulate would be backwashed out of the resin bed, cleaning the resin. That kills resin fairly quickly.
Gary Slusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #7

Well, if "kills resins rather quickly" mean after thirty years of service without any major problems, then I guess you're right this time.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
Old 10-12-2008, 12:51 AM   #8
Water quality'n pump guy

Andy, why do Kinetico softeners require a prefilter, and what happens to them if they don't have one?

Gary Slusser is offline   Reply With Quote