DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Whole house water filter question

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Gary Slusser 
#1 ·
I installed 2 Culligan water filters (see link) and have a question about the correct filter I should use with these.

Filter -
http://www.waterfilters.net/culligan/wholehouse/housings/HF360.htm

Have a well and have seen sand in my system. Have no problems with smell or bad taste in the water.

Assume pleated for greater filtering??
I have 2 so was thinking of putting a larger one (20 micron) first to catch the sand and a smaller one (10 or 5 micron) 2nd to clean the water.

Does this make sense?

#2 ·
I installed 2 Culligan water filters (see link) and have a question about the correct filter I should use with these.

Filter -
http://www.waterfilters.net/culligan/wholehouse/housings/HF360.htm

Have a well and have seen sand in my system. Have no problems with smell or bad taste in the water.

Assume pleated for greater filtering??
I have 2 so was thinking of putting a larger one (20 micron) first to catch the sand and a smaller one (10 or 5 micron) 2nd to clean the water.

Does this make sense?
The naked eye can't see particulates less than 50-45 microns; the lower the number the smaller the particle. So your micron rating is way too low to filter sand and, a disposable cartridge filter is a bad choice for filtering sand. Using just the housing without the cartridge will filter sand.

You are going to install any filter after the pressure tank right? Never anything before the pressure tank.

Have you tried to dissolve some of this sand in vinegar to make sure it is sand and not hardness scale?

#5 ·
I think if it dissolves there won't be anything to see.

If it doesn't dissolve, you have sand and if it does, it is hard water scale.

If it doesn't dissolve, the filter housing without a cartridge is sufficient to trap sand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.