Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #1

Share |

Whole House Filter?

Anyone recommend a simple whole house filter for city water? I've seen them at the depot for under $100 but will plan to buy from a plumbing supply. Anyone recommend I look for anything specific when getting one? I just want to get some of the bigger stuff out of the water.

HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #2

Whole House Filter?

If you mean sediment and particulate matter a 5 microrn filter should provide satisfactory performance. For long filter life and extended maintenance intervals I recommend a 20" "big blue" housing. Install the filter housing with shut off valves on both sides so you can isolate the filter housing for filter changes. In my experience the pleated cartridge filters can be washed and reused a number of times before they need to be replaced.

Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob999 For This Useful Post:
josall (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #3

Whole House Filter?

I second "Big blue".
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #4

Whole House Filter?

I also have a 20" big blue and the 5 micron set-up. Works great.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #5

Whole House Filter?

Thanks everyone, happy to have an exact model recommendation to shop for.

Quick question, would the 10" Big Blue be ideal if I it fit better where I plan to install it?

Anyone know if I should get a 3/4", 1" or 1.5" unit? I'm sure this is something i'll have to measure for, but is any one size typically common in old homes? I think I have 3/4" on the main line, and then it branches to 1/2" mostly but I don't remember accurately, its been a good year since I did any plumbing diy's.

Last edited by HandyFrank; 11-03-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #6

Whole House Filter?

The 10" is 1/2 the size of the 20" so you will need to clean/replace filters more frequently. Additionally the 10" will have slightly greater pressure drop--but I doubt that would be a significant issue.

Buy the fitting size for the supply line you will be installing it on--if the supply line is 3/4" then buy 3/4 inch. It would be ok to buy a larger size and use a reducing fitting but I don't recommend buying a smaller size than your main supply line.
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #7

Whole House Filter?

A "spin down" filter is a simple screen filter with a cleanout valve below. Sold at larger plumbing supply companies. No replacement filters necessary.

Like this...

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #8

Whole House Filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
A "spin down" filter is a simple screen filter with a cleanout valve below. Sold at larger plumbing supply companies. No replacement filters necessary.

Like this...

Now THAT is something I've never heard of or seen before. I see that they are sold with different mesh options (30 for large chunks up to 1000 for super fine sediment).

Nice not having to buy filters, but this looks like it is more for larger sediment in water, maybe from a well or non-city water source? I found some posts online where people install both a spin down, and a big blue style filter but those are mostly people on a well and have sand and stuff, which I do not.

I think the Big blue style filter might be a better option for me on city?

Would it make sense for me to get a whole house filter at all with city water? Or maybe consider one that has 2 stages to run carbon afterwards to rid of some of the chemical/chlorine? Water seems to be clean (Not mentioning things like chlorine and chemical) for the most part but figured a whole house filter might be ideal. I'll probably invest in a small reverse osmosis filter with a small holding tank for drinking water.

Last edited by HandyFrank; 11-03-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #9

Whole House Filter?

I have city water and that spin down filter as the whole house water filter. This filters particles which can clog the faucet aerators and clog the toilet valve, etc. So keeps things running.

Then I have a 2nd good quality filter for the refrigerator water/ice. That needs to have the filters replaced. But not very often because it is filtering just the refrigerator.

If I want filtered water, I get it from the refrigerator.

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote