Who Jackhammers The Slab When Installing Drain? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Who jackhammers the slab when installing drain?

Would like to construct a new bathroom on the floor above an existing bathroom, almost directly over the existing bathroom, in fact. The house is slab on grade, and the new toilet drain pipe needs to come down through a closet and join the existing drain pipe that runs down through the slab and out to the septic system. I do not want to do the demo myself. Do plumbers normally do the slab demo and patch, or do I need to hire a different contractor for that, and thus involve two trades rather than one?

Thanks.

Advertisement

tpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

a plumber will do it most times. You may have to do the pour back tho. In fact you may want to because most plumbers aren't conctrete finishers and you can also save money if you do the demo.

Advertisement

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-07-2010)
Old 09-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I would ask the plumber if instead of using a jackhammer if he can saw the concrete. it is a lot nicer to fill when job is complete. Jackhammer will leave a lot of rough edges.
merle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

I use a saw to square the hole. Then jackhammer the center. I have used a sledge hammer
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

If the plumbers don't do the demo, be sure they mark out the trenches prior to demo and hold them to their layout. Also don't allow them to mark out more than needed. If they don't bid the demo or concrete replacement they won't care that you buy an extra yard of mud. So they will probably oversize the demo work.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
No Hacks Allowed!

Rewards Points: 25

If you desire to make a precise hole in the slab as well as produce the least amount of noise (in my opinion) and dust, think about using a contractor that can drill through the slab using a vacuum base concrete core drill.

A cylindrical core bit will make a neat, circular hole through the slab with a minimum of fuss. Either tape a large section of heavy 6-mil plastic to the floor to collect the bit-cooling water, or actively suck up the water with a wet vacuum during the drilling process. The trickle of cooling water on the core bit also eliminates dust.

If your slab is a post-tensioned stressed cable slab:
  1. Be sure to use a proper "metal finder" sensor to find the exact location of any post-tensioned cables buried in the slab. DON'T DRILL THERE!
  2. Be sure to use a contractor that has the proper locating equipment, and knows how to use it.
Some ill trained doofus using a borrowed Garrett metal detector probably can not determine if an electronic "hit" is a length of 1/2” rebar buried deep in your slab <OR> a plastic sleeved stress cable under thousands of pounds of tension. This genius will mark the spot on the slab surface as OKAY to drill, jack hammer, or blast. Be careful. You could be in for an expensive lesson. Pay upfront for the proper usage of time, equipment and personnel instead of possibly compromising the integrity of your slab.

Depending on your specific situation, you may be required to hog out a big ugly hole in the slab anyway to have enough elbow room to install any sewer line connections under the slab far from the edge.

Vacuum Base Concrete Core Drill

Photo of concrete core being lifted out of slab

Good luck!

Advertisement

Last edited by NoHax; 09-09-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: syntax
NoHax is offline   Reply With Quote