Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #1

Share |

Who can solve softener issues?

OK< who is the plumbing guru here, it seems that 6 tech guys that came to my house cannot figure this out so maybe it will remain a mystery. I bought a brand new water softener from what I thought was a quality company (which is why I didn't go with sears or home depot) the unit has been in for almost a year, and I have had at least 6 tech guys over at different times over the course of that time, what happens is during the last part of the cycle, a LOUD vibrartion occurs that could wake the dead. Last week they came out and replaced another valve on the unit(Not sure how many valves are on these units but they replaced every one) this moring at 3.30 am it happened again and my wife and I jumped out of bed and could not fall back asleep after that. I know the company is getting tired of me calling and complaining but this is not normal. IN addition to replacing all these parts, they also fastened the pipes securely coming off the unit. I don't know what to do and what else they can replace??????
turbomangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomangt View Post
OK< who is the plumbing guru here, it seems that 6 tech guys that came to my house cannot figure this out so maybe it will remain a mystery. I bought a brand new water softener from what I thought was a quality company (which is why I didn't go with sears or home depot) the unit has been in for almost a year, and I have had at least 6 tech guys over at different times over the course of that time, what happens is during the last part of the cycle, a LOUD vibrartion occurs that could wake the dead. Last week they came out and replaced another valve on the unit(Not sure how many valves are on these units but they replaced every one) this moring at 3.30 am it happened again and my wife and I jumped out of bed and could not fall back asleep after that. I know the company is getting tired of me calling and complaining but this is not normal. IN addition to replacing all these parts, they also fastened the pipes securely coming off the unit. I don't know what to do and what else they can replace??????
What you may need to install is a water hammer. What this does is keep the water from making the pipe's vibrate. Sound's like some one beating on the pipe's ??? Ask a plumer not the tec for the softner.About a hammer. Which is a copper i belive it is a 8" pipe with a copper cap on one end and it is put in the line with a T fitting. This keep's the water from vibrating ?? Try this
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
fabrk8r

It's called a "water hammer arrester".

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/waterhammerarresters.html

You could also use a "permanent air chamber", which can be fabricated on site.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
call me E

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
It's called a "water hammer arrester".

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/waterhammerarresters.html

You could also use a "permanent air chamber", which can be fabricated on site.
Also check your water pressure. HD should have test gauges. Simply screw it on a hose bib. Should be less than 80psi. You may need a pressure regulator on your house supply
TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #5

Thanks makes perfect sense, glad to know you guys have your game down................
Old 09-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
Water Treatment

Only does it at night when the softener is cleaning or regen?

The techs that came out found What? if any thing.?

I have an idea ... may be short lived, but it is around the cleaning time and the bang..
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #7

It happens at the end of each cycle, around 15 minutes before its complete, and the noise sounds like an earthquake. the update from the company is they are replacing a plastic valve in the brane tank with a brass one and they said the water hose that drians should not be placed directly in the catch basin, they want to angle it so the water goes up and loops before going into pump basin. what is your angle on this?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
Water Treatment

Quote:
It happens at the end of each cycle, around 15 minutes before its complete, and the noise sounds like an earthquake. the update from the company is they are replacing a plastic valve in the brane tank with a brass one and they said the water hose that drians should not be placed directly in the catch basin, they want to angle it so the water goes up and loops before going into pump basin. what is your angle on this?
I had this happen awhile back at a customer, found that in the brine draw part of the cycle there was air getting into brine draw, so then when the unit cycled into the brine refill the air that was still in the media tank and not pushed out in rapid rinse found its way to the brine tank in the brine tank refill.

Which valve are we talking about?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
Licensed Master Plumber

Be a lot easier If we knew what make and model we were talking about yes?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #10

Question

During, or at the end of the rinse cycle, the brine should be discharged to a waste line somewhere. Do you discharge the brine to an overhead sewer line? If it is discharged to more than 8-10 feet overhead you will have to "buck" a head greater than most units are designed for. Just a thought I had knowing some issues I ran into during my installation.
Pstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #11

Unit is from Johnson Water CO St Charles IL, not sure on model, it is the one that only regenerates on need based usage. It happens in the last 15 minutes or so of the cycle, and it drains to a tank and a waste ejecter pump sends it to sewer, the line is around 5 feet from tank to basin,hope that helps. G
Old 09-05-2010, 02:10 AM   #12
Water Treatment

Quote:
Unit is from Johnson Water CO St Charles IL, not sure on model, it is the one that only regenerates on need based usage. It happens in the last 15 minutes or so of the cycle, and it drains to a tank and a waste ejecter pump sends it to sewer, the line is around 5 feet from tank to basin,hope that helps. G
Autotrol 255 Valve or the other one, does not really matter, what I am thinking is that down in the brine tank there is the part that the water comes in, there is a little ball in that cage and it is not setting over the hole as it should when the brine water is out of the brine and and then when it goes to refill the brine tank there is air going back through the line and banging it around, one quick way of checking this out is put the unit into a regen, then wait for the brine draw , about 10-15minute into it there should be a change in the sound , kinda like no more soda in the glass and just pulling air or if the straw is put on the bottom and nothing can be pulled in.
Then if air was drawn in when it goes into the brine refill the line that goes to the brine tank should jump around big time as the air pushes through the line..
If the nuts at both ends of that line are tight then the only other place for the air to get in is at the bottom of the brine pick up tube where that little ball is at and that needs to be replaced.