Who Is The Brains Behind These. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 644

Who is the brains behind these.

Got an early morning call. Water coming through the ceiling. Tenant Can not get the water off. Head on over, figure the main is seized so I run down the basement. The main turns but that is all it does. The street valve is no where to be found. Pulled the outlet side of water meter and capped it. So who though it would be a good idea to use shut off under a sink that you pull the handle to shut off. The house is plumbed in pex. The valve connects to the pex, then a long flex line goes to the faucet. The tenant told me they turned the handle and nothing happened. Now I am out one plaster ceiling, and maybe some damage to a really nice hardwood floor. Not to mention the mess. Why would someone do this to me? So my question is, how do I remove these pex stop valves? Ball valve now installed on the main line.

Advertisement

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,654

Without a picture I can only guess that they are inexpensive track housing valves- I think I've seen the type that fit your description - white with a round handle that you push/pull about 1/2"?

Moral of the story is to familiarize your self with your properties....
To replace them- see if you can pull on the pipe and cut right below the stop. Hopefully, you'll have room to attach a new stop. Alternative is to go below through the ceiling

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Lord of Slums

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...P19V9JAXWAC8YT this is the one
Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

The damage to the floors will only happen, if you or the tenant did not place towels on it, or place a bucket while the water was dripping. All you can do now, is make sure that as much water that can was shop vac'd, then place fans blowing over the floor, to help dry it out slowly.

Then from there, contact your insurance company to file a claim regarding this. Most likely they may want all that PEX either ripped out and Copper Soldered in, or the PEX re-done by a professional licensed plumber, then signed off by the inspector, before they allow you to continue staying with that insurance company.

Just go through everything, and hopefully whoever you hire this time, will get it right. As for the street key, if you had called it in as an emergency, the utility would have probably gotten there at the same time you did, or before you and had the utility shut off, so that a street key could be put in place, if there was one originally inside the home, but it should be at the meter outside.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
Lord of Slums

I almost never make claims to the insurance company. I know people that get new roofs, carpet, siding. I hear all about it. It just feel this was my fault and I should be more on top of my properties. At the time the pex was put in, those valves were not sold to private parties. The work was done by a licensed plumber, but nothing lasts forever. I blame only myself. The pex was put in on 11/14/2007. I am going to call the original plumber just to see if he has anything to say. Those valves come with a ten year warranty.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,760

Get some ball valves installed...
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,654

So what actually failed- the valve, supply line or faucet?

I've pulled a couple of those off of CPVC before- basically, I just wriggled and twisted until it came off because I didn't know of any other way. They're a push fit design like sharkbite
Old 07-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
I almost never make claims to the insurance company. I know people that get new roofs, carpet, siding. I hear all about it. It just feel this was my fault and I should be more on top of my properties. At the time the pex was put in, those valves were not sold to private parties. The work was done by a licensed plumber, but nothing lasts forever. I blame only myself. The pex was put in on 11/14/2007. I am going to call the original plumber just to see if he has anything to say. Those valves come with a ten year warranty.
Sorry, but only being six years old, I would say poor quality install. It should have lasted longer than that. Even the valves should have lasted longer. Most likely cheap parts and cheap fittings, were used, is why the system failed.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
So what actually failed- the valve, supply line or faucet?

I've pulled a couple of those off of CPVC before- basically, I just wriggled and twisted until it came off because I didn't know of any other way. They're a push fit design like sharkbite
Sharkbites when installed properly, same with PEX and Compression, should never be able to be pulled off by hand. That shows right there like the OP install, it was not properly done right from the beginning.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,638

call your insurance company ..accidents due happen even to new equiptment ..I do agree with all the comments here .... sounds like a bad install but we haven't seen it so its still only a guessing game .....see what the installing plumber has to say...let us know..ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,350

Those are a pain to remove---bad design. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Lord of Slums

the line went on the hot side. I have been playing phone tag with the plumber. He said they twist off. He " never had a problem before". The original plumber said he could come out and take a look for me. Should I ask the original plumber if he will warranty the work? I would think something could last longer than this. I had hoped he would install the best he can buy. I never beat him up on any prices.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

Regarding the insurance....unless the total cost of repairs is a lot more than the deductible, don't file a claim.

The insurance companies maintain a central database on claims that is accessible by all insurance companies.

When we bought our house, the shower pan was cracked. Sellers paid to have it repaired.

About 4 years later when we were shopping again for home insurance, one lady I talked to asked me about the shower....it appears the sellers had filed an insurance claim about 1 month before putting the house on the market (claim denied). I was asked if the damage was repaired. At that point it was a non-issue seeing how I had replaced a 10-14' section of flooring in the bathroom and totally removed the shower.

I 'could' have filed a claim aginst the seller for non-disclosure.....the obvioulsly knew about the water damage but didn't disclose it.

They use that information for several reasons....water damage claims could mean additional un-seen damage....if you have a pit bull and it bit someone...and your insurance company drops you....it helps the next insurance company know what they are in for.

Some my disagree with the practice....but I don't blame them. Given how all to often people don't hesitate to take advantage of the insurance company. If you were an insurance company, would you want to insure someone who has a dog that bits people?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Is it like this?

http://pullstopbox.com/
Old 07-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,704

This is the No. 1 reason we get this type of junk. It sells.

" VISUALLY APPEALING

Since the valve is recessed in the wall and concealed behind the escutcheon, there is no ugly stub out or angle stop protruding from the wall. The finished look is clean and stylish ".

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote