Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

White powder in bathtub -- is this normal?

I moved down to Florida about 3 months ago. When I first got here, I noticed that my bathub had a weird white chalky substance on the bottom and the sides.

I didn't think anything of it at first, but I've been having some issues with the water. It was drying my skin out like crazy, so I bought a water filter (Aquasana AQ4105) and installed it thinking chlorine might be to blame. It helps some, but my skin still gets pretty dry and I still see this chalky stuff every single day. I am on county water. AFAIK, I have always drawn water from a well everywhere else I've lived, and I've never had either problem. The house passed inspection easily and I don't recall any issues related to the water (water heater is less than 10 years old from what I can tell).

The only logical explanation would seem to be limescale/calcium deposits, but doesn't this seem like a bit much? My understanding was that limescale builds up slowly over time, and usually in places where the water is very warm (like a hot tub). This looks like someone actually ground up chalk in my bathtub, and I don't see a lot of reports on the internet of this sort of thing.

The tub was cleaned just a few days ago, and these pictures (from tonight) are probably just what's leftover from the shower I took this morning. Am I overreacting or is this a bit excessive? Is there something else going on here I should be concerned about?
Attached Thumbnails
White powder in bathtub -- is this normal?-20140225_214506.jpg   White powder in bathtub -- is this normal?-20140225_214514.jpg   White powder in bathtub -- is this normal?-20140225_214542.jpg  

dniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

White powder in bathtub -- is this normal?

Have your water tested. You likely need a water softener.

joecaption (02-25-2014)