Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #1

Share |
Talking

whistling water pipe

My house's water pressure was coming in last week when I checked at 110 psi... thought there was a problem because the Pressure valve on the water heater was leaking and I just replaced it! and it only happened when the heater ran... so I brought the system up to code... it was a cosed system with a one way valve on it, so I put a pressure reducing valve on after that, droped the pressure down to 60 psi and after that put a thermal expansion tank on as an extra precaution since it is a closed system... and we are supose to have them by our code on a closed system.... well after that the toilets ran much quieter when filling, the sink's faucets dont splatter water all over the place, our washing machine is quiet when filling, everything is great! well except one thing, the bathtub shower... when it is running it now makes a very loud whistle noise, nothing else in the house does this! and it did not do this before I droped the pressure down to 60 from 110 psi.... is the valve bad in the shower? if not any idea on how to fix this? thanks!
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #2

whistling water pipe

Probably a pocket of air somewhere in the pipes. I don't know of any way to get rid of that other than perhaps turning the water on high and seeing if the air gets flushed out. Otherwise the air will be gradually absorbed.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #3

whistling water pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Probably a pocket of air somewhere in the pipes. I don't know of any way to get rid of that other than perhaps turning the water on high and seeing if the air gets flushed out. Otherwise the air will be gradually absorbed.
I dont think it is that, I flushed and purged the entire system, and after a week not it is still whistleing... could the diverter or something be causing this? it only happens when the shower head is turned on... not when the spout is running... but the shower head is only 4 months old and wasnt doing this until I fixed the water pressure....
Old 12-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #4

whistling water pipe

Take the shower head apart and clean the screen. Could be some sediment worked through the pipes.
Does the tub fill also squeek? or just the Shower head?
TJ_in_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
gravity always wins

whistling water pipe

It's probably the scald proof feature in the shower control. The balance valve inside it is in a new position due to the reduced pressure and it is chattering. Mine did it until it sort of got broken in. A very quick flip of the temp control usually quieted it...... at least for a while. It has pretty much stopped now that it's been in use for a while.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #6

whistling water pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_in_IL View Post
Take the shower head apart and clean the screen. Could be some sediment worked through the pipes.
Does the tub fill also squeek? or just the Shower head?

just the shower head does