Whirlpool Water Softer - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Whirlpool water softer

Our Whirlpool water softener is approximately 6 yrs old. It has worked fine up to the last several months. I did clean the venturi (it was filled with gunk) and it worked fine for a couple months and now it works on and off. I have checked the venturi and it is clean. It will soften for 7 or 8 days then it stops. We do have it set to cycle every day as our water is VERY hard and has a good deal of iron. We use Red Out salt in it. By the time we realize how hard it is again and recycle it is on the hot water tank and it takes days to get it out. Have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks!

Advertisement

itsmejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Whirlpool water softer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejj View Post
Our Whirlpool water softener is approximately 6 yrs old. It has worked fine up to the last several months. I did clean the venturi (it was filled with gunk) and it worked fine for a couple months and now it works on and off. I have checked the venturi and it is clean. It will soften for 7 or 8 days then it stops. We do have it set to cycle every day as our water is VERY hard and has a good deal of iron. We use Red Out salt in it. By the time we realize how hard it is again and recycle it is on the hot water tank and it takes days to get it out. Have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks!
If you have a good amount of iron then the upper basket that Sears uses in their systems is a good place to start if pressure is good for awhile and then falls off.
If salt usage is a challenge and there is a fair about of water in the bottom of the brine tank and the venturi is clear then make sure that the float assembly is at the bottom of the brine well.
Increase the comp hardness on the control setting.
Then again it could be time to replace the system, they make them to be replaced about this time...

Advertisement

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote